buying 20D camera in hongkong? safest place to buy?

from earthy

HI! I have a frend from hongkong and they will goin here in

phillipines this month, I heard cameras in hongkong are very cheap but

their also lots of selling defective cameras, I heard also someone buy

a canon camera but when he got home He open the box and what a

surprise inside the box is a Pentax camera, so whats the safest place

to buy camera in hongkong? any store website?

You can try Wing Shing in Mongkok. (55 Sai Yeung choi St) This may not be the cheapest around, but it is reputable.

Do avoid those AV shops in Tsimshatsui, some of them are not honest.

At the moment, still no idea when stock will be available. When 10D was launch months ago, it took several months before stock are readily available.

I deal exclusively with ManShing Photographic Store a block away from its sister store WingShing. It has been in business for over 30 years and sells mostly to pros and photographic hobbiests. Both stores sell no grey market stuff. They give me good prices as a reward for repeated business. They have been invited to Canon HK's product launch earlier this afternoon. I was told a shipment will come as early as next week. I have asked them to reserve a 20D for me even though they still do not have a price yet.

More can be found at my other thread at: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=10007376

Happy shooting!

Here's a thought...be safe. Open the box and look at it before and after you pay for it in the store. If they don't want to let you look, tell them to kiss off (or a few other choice phrases). Last time I bought anything in Hong Kong it was in the China Fleet Club. They have good prices if you get in.