D2H -vs- D1X -vs- Finepix S3

Hello.

I have the daunting task of purchasing a new digital camera. My

camera bag got ripped off at a gig. D100 w/grip, Nikon 17-35,

Tameron 28-105, SBX80, batteries, etc? Not a bad haul for the

thief. Watch your stuff guys.

Anyways, I was looking into these three sets. D2H, D1X or the

Finepix S-3? Does anyone know how much is the new D2X?

I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Thank you in advance.

Ted

From what I understand, the new D2X is blazing fast. I currently own the Fuji S2. I'd be weary of another Fuji SLR becasue I have a reoccuring problem with the Firewire Port.

A salesman in NYC told me that the Nikon D1X and the D1H's are all solid cameras. Very few comebacks compared to Canon, Fuji, etc.

Next time around, I think I'm going that way.

The D2H and D1X are 4mp cameras, so I wouldn't be looking at them too much. Sure, 4mp might be enough for some jobs but 6mp is really the MINIMUM nowadays.

The S3 is a nonexistent camera and I don't much like the price tag on it (what, 3000$ for a 6mp camera?). The portrait grip on it is broken (doesn't have any controls other than the shutter) and ... well... it's almost 2005 and they're still using 6mp.

If I were you I'd be looking at the D2X. The only bad thing I can come up with regarding the d2x is probably the noise levels. Cramming in 12mp on a 1.5x sensor is probably not going to be the cleanest sensor in the world.

Oh yeah, the other problem with the d2x is that you'll have to wait until next year for it, just like people had to wait half a year (or was it more?) for the d2h.

The D1x is a 5.5 MP camera, not 4 MP as cited above. I get 11x14 prints that are nearly indistinguishable from my Hasselblad, at that size. If you can find a used one that hasn't been beat up, it will be serviceable for years to come. Actually, for every D1x used by a pro, there are probably 2 "boutique" cameras traded by dilitants who have to have the latest. Good hunting!

> The D1x is a 5.5 MP camera, not 4 MP as cited above.

I've already explained this D1X interpolation mathematics before, but I can't find the thread so I'll run it again.

The D1X has a native sensor size of 4028 x 1324. The output jpg is 3008 x 1960. It interpolated DOWN from 4028 to 3008 and UP from 1324 to 1960.

Taking the minimum of both axes you get 3008 x 1324 = 3.9million ~ 4mp.

Or does your math differ from mine?

Edward H, the D1X has two options: 5.3 MP and 10 MP, depending on which interpolation you select. The 5.3 MP was the only option on the built-in firmware that came with the first D1X units, but since the camera first came out Bjorn Rorslett has used third-party software to get the full data from the sensor. With current D1X models, the firmware allows the full data to be retrieved also. If you don't use this option, that's just your problem but it doesn't make the camera a 4 MP camera.

Edward, the D1X sensor has 5.3 million effective pixels (that is photosensitive sites excluding the border area). All of this information is included in the 10 MP interpolated image. The image is <i>not</i> first reduced to 4 MP and then interpolated to 10 MP - that would be absurd.

The original D1X produced files which were resized to 5 MP files with square pixels. This was to keep the file size reasonable, but some of the horizontal resolution was lost.