panorama head, etc? Also, I've been thinking of just getting a

Bay1 - 52mm filter adapter and using my existing filters with the

camera -- any cons concerning this? Also, this may be self-evident

once I get the camera, but do I need a special adapter plate to

attach the camera to a tripod? What about using a shutter release

cable?

I've tried doing a search here on photo.net, plus the autocord user

group on Yahoo, but haven't really found the answers I'm looking

for. Would appreciate any advice people have! Cheers.

Autocord straps are extremely rare. One was just/is on ebay, and the last I saw the

bidding past $25. Do a photo.net search on "autocord strap" and you'll find someone's

explanation as to how he sort-of attached a strap to his.

http://www.goodwinphotoinc.com/ is usually a decent source of Bay1 filters and hoods.

I don't use an Autopole or pano head on my Autocord -- usually an orange Heliopan

filter at most for b&w work.

Unlike most Rolleiflexes, it will take a standard modern strap -

though I've never fitted one to mine, because I use it in its case

which has a strap riveted on.

It will take bay 1 filters, lens hoods and close-up lenses. The

Rollei hinged lens caps do not fit, but the one-piece plastic ones

do.

It doesn't need a tripod adapter, and will not fit the Rolleifix

adapter. The base of the camera seems to be sturdier than the

Rolleis, which are notoriously easy to bend when they are

mounted on a tripod without an adapter. It takes a standard

modern cable release.

Some features of the Autocord (focus lever, film advance handle)

are a bit on the flimsy side, but use it with care and you will have

an awesomely good camera.

Well my verion of the Autocord also takes the modern Optech type of strap, but some of the other Autocords have a bayonet type of strap attachment, as Rachelle's may. This can be accommodated as mentioned above, but is not a simple attachment.

I think my Autocord hinged lens cap does fit on my Rollei Automat, but I haven't tried it the other way 'round.

They are great cameras for good results and at a reasonable price.

Yashica D, although called bayonet RI ("bay 1"), does not take Rollei RI hood with out silight modification. Yashica hinged lens cap does not fit Rollei RI bayonet cameras. Yashica plastic lens cover is loose on Rellei RI bayonet cameras. Etc. Rollei RI and other bayonets look roughly the same but they are not. Although, I guess, several original accessories will still fit the clones and vice versa.

Kerkko K.

<i>do I need a special adapter plate to attach the camera to a tripod? What about using a shutter release cable?</i><p>

No special plate or cable release required. I use the same ones that I use for my Canon SLR.<p>

The Autopole lets you work more quickly than with a single polarizer, but it doesn't come cheap, and can be hard to find.

I purchased an aftermarket strap for my Autocord and it works just fine. I don't know the brand name (I'm at work and the camera is at home) but it has thin nylon straps that (barely) thread through the Autocord strap lugs. The neck strap is padded foam and plastic clips on the strap quickly detach it from the camera. The Autocord case, with or without the strap, is just extra bulk that hinders an otherwise easy to use camera. Any bay-1 lens shade should work on the Autocord. I purchased an old Ednalite shade off of e-bay. The shade fit well but there was slight vignetting at the corners of the negatives. I shortened the lens shade about 1/8 inch on my lathe and it now works prefectly. I also purchased a bay 1 - 49mm adapter and added a 49mm to 55mm step up ring to it. Now my Minolta SLR filters also fit the Autocord. Obviously, the bay-1 lens shade won't fit on this set-up, but the adapters tend to function like a short lens shade.

Some bay 1 shades fit better on some cameras. On my Autocord, i use a Rollei hood without problem.

The step-up come in 3 sizes 46, 49 and 52mm. The problem with 52 is you will obstruct the bottom of your viewing lens if you add a shade. Before buying the adapter, hold a filter on the camera and do the same with a shade to see how it looks. I use 49mm filters on mine but my shade is special: metal and straight (like a tele hood but much shorter)

You will find that most accessories are pricey but you should at least get a shade (a must)

The most impotant accessory is the lens shade which you should use for every shot. Any bayonet 1 shade SHOULD fit but in my experience its best to try it before commiting to buy as many may be difficult to fit or even worse difficult to remove. Any strap can be used, even a long shoelace. None of the other accessories are worth buying. You can make a panorama head by drilling 2 holes the right distance apart in a piece of wood. The main problem with Autocords is stiff focussing which eventually causes the focus lever to snap off.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
This is a little late, but applies to anyone with the fine AUTOCORD. My suggestion on accessories, in order or importance, is: sun shade (any Bay 1 28.5mm), Bay 1-46mm step-up ring, strap or case with strap, set of filters and close-up lenses. I find the rather scarce and pricey Autopole polarizer handy, too. Later model Autocords use a dedicated strap fitting. To adapt ANY woven or leather strap, go to your neighborhood hardware store with your camera and purchase a stainless steel self-tapping screw or bolt, about 3/16" in length and just thick enough to tap snugly into existing hole in Autocord's strap post. The clerk will assist you. Then buy two small, thin s.s. flat washers around 3/8" diam. (depending upon width of strap you wish to use). Select strap of your choice and have shoe or harness shop punch a 1/8" or so hole in end of strap, sandwich strap end with a washer on each side and thread screw or bolt through outer washer, punched hole in strap and through inner washer and into hole in camera body strap post. Orient strap in vertical position before final tightening of fasteners and you will have a very secure strap and one that is easily replaced. Do not overtighten fastener. If this procedure sounds complex, take camera to camera repair shop or machinist and tell them you want the hole in the strap post tapped out to take a common machine screw, to be able to fit a strap of your choice. This modification in no way decreases the value or utility of your camera.