Problem with Cannon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS:

So I spent the money on this lens and tried it out all week. I did a

weddding this weekend and had trouble auto focusing. It was very slow

and sometimes did not auto focus at all.

Anyone else have problems with this lens or might it just be a defect

in the lens. The church was fairly bright and I was shooting from both

the balcony in the back and from about 20 feet back. I love some of

the shots I took but many were from manual focus.

Bob,

The Canon EOS forum is probably a better place to post this question. I have a new 70-200mm f/2.8L IS that was just returned to me from Canon Factory Service - a bearing went bad in one of the IS gyro's and started making noises like a bad water pump. However, at all times this lens has been a wonderfully fast and accurately focusing lens for me. Sounds like you might have a "bad sample."

I am also 70-200L IS user. used a 70-200 non-IS for almost 5 years and switch to IS

only less than a year ago. Use with a 1D. never have problem focusing. Just some

time forgot that switched the focus option to 2.5m-infinity and it doesn't focus when

i am too close to the object. but of course its not the problem of the lens. you could

double check that.

Basically, the focusing of all the USM lens especially L lens is super fast or should I

say extreme fast. If any how you feel the focus is somehow slow or any sound come

out from it, you should take it to a dealer and look at it.

just a suggestion to check out your lens if it really have a problem. Go to a Canon

dealer close to you with your 10D. Ask them the same lens for a try, than you will

know, right?

eric

You spent the money on the lens, and it's having problems. If you got it from a retailer,

return it. If you got it on eBay, you're probably out of luck. Also, you must realize that AF

sensors work on the principle of finding contrast. If you were all the way zoomed in on

the groom's black suit, and had the AF sensor over just blackness, than ANY AF camera /

lens combination will fail you.

You can speed up the AF operation by engaging the AF limiter switch on the lens.