Fall locations : Colorado/oregon/Washington State ?

vikas_sethi

Hello All :

From the responses I got to my previous post, looks like it may not

be a good idea to plan a photography-trip to shoot fall colors in

California.

However, since I won't be able to make it to the east coast and

I live in California, I am looking for some alternatives.

How about Colorado/Oregon/Washington State ?

Has anyone tried their luck, taking fall-foliage photographs there ?

If, so, what's the recommended time-frame I should plan my trip

for ?

Thanx

The western half of Washington is covered with evergreens. The eastern half is a dry, treeless prarie. I think Oregon is about the same.

The Aspens can be very nice in the Rocky Mountains, but somebody else will have to provide you with timing information.

Have you considered Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the upper portion of Michigan? Washington State is known as "the Evergreen" state due to the number of trees that do not loose color in the autumn months....

But Washington State has a few mountains and one scenic stretch of National Park beach on the Pacific coast....

Colorado has the most dramatic autumn colour I've seen. Last two weeks is September, maybe first week October. For me, the best area is in the San Juans in the extreme south west of the state, centred around Ouray and Telluride. The areas round crested Butte, Steamboat Springs and Aspen also have a lot to offer. You have to be prepared for snow and some of the driving on the by roads is, shall we say, interesting and you'd need a 4x4 for these areas.

David has it right--go to Colorado. North of Durango, to Silverton to Ouray, to Ridgway, Dallas Divide, Owl Creek Pass, Telluride. Around Crested Butte, Kebler Pass, Aspen, Maroon Bells. Check out some of the Colorado Fall Foilage photo workshops and see where they go and when. Timing depends on a host of factors. Check out the chambers of commerce in these cities, look for names of photographers in their links and contact them for timing info. I would allow at least a week of shooting. Last two weeks of Sept and first week of Oct is the usual time. Take a 81c or a b + w KR3 filter with you and a blue gold polarizer. Joe Smith

I agree with the above posts - Colorado has some great fall Colors, especially the southwest cornet near Ouray, Ridgway, etc. I would normally recommend early October for the peak colors, but we've had a bit of strange weather this year. I've already seen a few (very few) trees starting to turn colors in central CO. There's an 800 phone number that gives updates on the fall colors, I'll try to track it down and post it here.<div>009KCn-19415284.jpg.c4ffe82c4bdb97bbbf9ab58eb9ba33bd.jpg</div>

... you just have to hike for it.

While we don't have the massive groves of aspens like other parts of the country, we do have some pretty nice groves of larches above 6000 feet in the eastern Cascades. Combine that with mountain ranges in the background, and you get some pretty nice shots. Though from what I've heard, Larch Lakes in the Entiat Valley has been hit already from the tree-boring beetles that are coming down from Canada. Be sure to check with the ranger stations for more info. I definitely plan on hurrying up and hope to get in some good pictures before my favorite spot is decimated.

Peak color is usually last week of September through first 2 weeks of October.

Kosta

Others have mentioned the general hot sport areas in CO, but I

have a few more details listed on my site that you may like to

peruse <a

href="http://mycolorado.org/fall_drives.html"><b>here.</b></a>

<p>

As far as relying on an 800 number, the forest service, or

anything of the like to provide you with updates, forget about it.

They're worthless! For the best updates in Colorado, there is no

better source than our <a

href="http://forums.naturephotographers.net/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=8

306088241&f=25110141"><b>Colorado Nature

Photographers</b></a> group. Come and visit us! We will no

doubt be adding a thread very shortly with updates. Many of us,

including myself, are out traveling the state quite a bit and will

post updates with our findings. I, for one, always do some

pre-runs just to check the status of things and also post picture

updates on my fall drives section linked above.

Here's the 800 number for the fall colors (800) 354-4595. I don't think it's operational yet, but it should be set up soon. I tried the link to the Colorado Nature Photographers posted above, but it wasn't working. I'd like to check out the information they have posted. Hopefully it will be working soon.

Like Kosta said, if you want to hit the great fall colors in Washington, you have to be willing to hike. A few of the places I'd recommend are:

The Rainy Pass/Lake Ann area on Highway 20, which is in the North Cascades National Park.

The Leavenworth Area, which is past Stevens Pass on Highway 2. Wonderful landscape...

You could also try Mt. Rainier, at both Sunrise and Paradise areas..

Nope, that's not the case.

I was in Alaska last month and the rental agencies made it clear

that the vehicales can 't be taken on backcountry roads .. not

even on Denali Highway.

I was in Vermont last year and the Fall peak was around 14-21st oct. ;

so I thought it would be later for in this part.

Be careful with 4x4 rental. My experience, which includes rental in many trips to southwest USA and includes Denver, is that there was small-print in the major suppliers' rental policies to the effect that if you took the vehicle off paved surfaces you were liable for recovery and repair costs. So no outright ban, but some discouragement. In reality of course you have little option but to accept the risk because whilst its possible to photograph in Colorado without leaving the metalled road, it wouldn't be making the most of the experience by a long shot.

Also, not all rental organisations will promise to provide a proper, switchable, high/low ratio 4wd because they don't want to commit contractually to a specific car. Hertz is an exception- they have always promised and provided a proper 4wd- and there's been times I've needed it.

I suggest also that you keep a close eye on the weather and be prepared to buy and use chains. Both my late September trips to Colorado have seen meaningful snow, and in 2002 crossing Red Mountain Pass with virtually no ploughing got beyond amusing.

Adverse weather brings a real excitement to the photography- I'm absolutely not trying to be discouraging- but you need to be prepared.

• 2 weeks later...

We may be the Evergreen State, but we do have fall color - two kinds of larch, vine maple, huckleberries, etc. Drivie the North Cascades highway (late Sept) for larch, Stevens Pass highway (early-mid Oct) and Snoqualmie Pass highway (mid-late Oct) for vine maple, and Chinook Pass (mid to late Oct) for lower elevation larch.

See http://mtnlover.smugmug.com/photos/4948655-S.jpg

http://mtnlover.smugmug.com/photos/4948684-S.jpg

http://mtnlover.smugmug.com/photos/4948694-S.jpg

Last year I got some wonderful fall color at Paradise at Mt. Rainier on Oct 26, which was actually a good week or so past the "good" color.

We are no Vermont, etc., but we do have areas of great color.

Val<div>009S8v-19581084.jpg.fd1e39f03db50671bc0c5c982cfd200b.jpg</div>

Most of Washington has one fall color: <b>green</b>. That said, the subalpine regions are reputed to have good fall color and from what I have read (but not experienced) there are some major valleys along the Pacific Coast of Washington (read as Olympic Peninsula) that have large amounts of maples at lower elevations. Generally, having lived in Washington most of my life I would say that Autumn (Fall requires something besides evergreens) brings out a lot of red undertones in the green while Spring yields many yellow undertones. <p>

Hence, I would suggest trying Colorado if you want fall color. But there a probably thousands of great views with good color when the weather cooperates in Washington if you know where to go. But such treks would likely necessitate carrying survival gear unless you enjoy hypothermia. <p>

my $0.02,<p>

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Since you already live in California, why not drive a bit north and come to Oregon? And just for those people who think the NW is all evergreen trees, think again. Maybe that's the way it is in Washington and more mountainous or northerly areas of Oregon. Sure we have our share of evergreens, but here in Southern Oregon, we have all sorts of deciduous trees that produce brilliant fall colors such as California Black and Oregon White Oak (producing russet/orange and dark orange/rust colored foliage respectively), Bigleaf and Vine Maple (turning yellow/orange and deep red in fall, respectively), Black Cottonwood (bright yellow) and Oregon Ash (yellow to orange)just to name a few. From Redding north on Interstate 5 up to Eugene has some of the most brilliant fall colors anywhere. Especially noteworthy are the Rogue (Ashland to Grants Pass) and North Umqua River Valleys.

My personal favorite leaf peeping drive begins at Crater Lake, and out of the park's north entrance follows OR highway 138 north and then west. On 138 enjoy the brilliant fall colors intermittently punctuated by waterfalls as you follow the North Umqua River into Roseburg. From Roseburg, take Interstate 5 north to Sutherlin, but take the time to notice the oak covered hills turning orange and red rust on the way there. Once in Sutherlin, take the highway 138 west exit to Elkton, and continue west from Elkton on highway 38 into Reedsport. This route follows the North Umqua on its way to the Pacific Ocean. From Suterlin to Elkton the terrain is comparatively flat, with many oak woodlands and savannas showing off their fall best. Highway 38 west offers innumerable trees burting forth with color in fall, with the couterpoint of the unwavering transparent opal hue of the North Umpqua River, set against a backdrop of steep hill and ridgesides that flank the river valley. Be sure to take advantage of nature's glory while here, including some of the best fishing in the country (the N. Umqua has tons of steelhead, sturgeon and several species of salmon), and watching migratory elk herds that inhabit the region.

As for a best time to go, I would say late October. The weather here is not all rain and gloom like Seattle, and we have a sunny/dry period from around late May to late October. The rest of the year (mostly winter) is rain, gloom and fog. Late October would put you at the tail end of the nice weather season in Southern Oregon, and give you a chance to view the colorful oak foliage while the other trees still held their vibrant fall leaves (oaks tend to be the last trees to turn around here).

Hope this hepls =)

I used to live in the Bay Area...Last year I went to Lake Tahoe and the surrounding area to shoot fall colors. There are a few spots around Lake Tahoe area and between Lake Taho & Yosemite that you may want to check out.

Its Colorado for me this year.