putting roll film holder on a large format camera.

darcy_cote

It may be something I looked over, but how does one put a roll film back onto a large

format camera and hold it in place. I have a Sinar F1 and the film holders slip in between

the ground glass and the camera. But how does one put a roll film holder in the same

spot? I assume you take the ground glass off, but how does the roll film holder stay in

place on the camera? I hope I don't sound stupid on this one.

Darcy

<p>One style of roll film holder has a thin portion which slips under the ground glass just like a sheet film holder. Another style is thick -- you must remove the ground glass, then you use the slidding clips of a Graflock (aka International) back to hold it in place. For the intended market of the Sinar F1, I would be very surprised if it didn't have the back that allows use of the thicker holders.</p>

<p>Another recent thread on the same subject: <i>How to use a roll film back on 4x5 camera?</i> at <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0097uY">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0097uY</a>.</p>

Darcy,

I use a Sinar X and can use a rollfilm back in one of two ways:

.... if you have a Calumet/Cambo type of holder then this is slid into the back just like

a regular film holder.

....if you have a Linhof/Wista type of back then you have to push the silver tabs in on

each side to remove the groundglass. Once you remove the groundglass back you

place the rollfilm holder in its place and slide the black sliding locks to lock the

rollfilm holder into place.

Just make sure to hold onto the groundglass when you first push in the silver tabs... it

has the tendency to just pop off and could fall to the floor if you're not careful.

Take your time... you'll figure it out!

Cheers

Best to keep it at 6x12, 5" is the maximum opening of your 4x5 back. 6x17 will need to be moved further back to clear the 7" film surface, it will be diffecult to keep the focusing plane same as your 4x5 ground glass.....But if you must, try to mount this monster film back on a Sinar lens board, than mount that directly to the rear fram, I have had some special conversion done that way.