Use a Nikon SB-28 Speedlite on Hasselblad 503CW?

flying_tiger

I just bought a 503CW with a 150/4 CFi lens and I wonder is I can

use my Nikon SB-28 speedlite with the 503CW thru a connecting cable.

Any experience? I also have a Canon 550EX speedlite but I don't

have a cable.

My question is : is it safe to use this setup? Will it damage the

503CW and/or my Nikon SB-28?

Thanks.

Richard

Yes, you can use the Nikon SB-28 with a Hasselblad- but not on TTL. You would have to use the flash on manual modes or in the Auto (thyristor) mode. I have never heard of a Nikon flash damaging the circuitry of a non-Nikon camera. I've used SB-28s with vintage MF cameras, RZ67s, Mamiya 6s and Mamiya 7IIs without incident.

You could use the Canon 550EX on the Blad- but only in full manual. Hasselblad cameras will not support Canon TTL flash metering. Also, the 550EX does not have an Auto (thyristor) mode like the Nikon SB-28.

I use an SB-28 (or SB-800) on a 500CM regularly, in Manual or Auto mode. You connect to the PC port on the lens rather than the TTL port on the 503CW. If you have a prism, the flash fits nicely in the accessory shoe on top. I recommend you get a Nikon PC-PC cable. A short (about 9") "official" cable has threaded collars at each end that fit Nikon flash and camera ports. That way, it can be secured to the flash at one end, and used as a simple PC plug at the other.

"(D)o I need to dial in the shutter/apeture settings on the Nikon SB-28 manually?"

Yes:

1. Set the flash to Auto.

2. Manually set the zoom on the SB-28- remember you have to think in terms of 35mm focal lengths (e.g. 50mm on the flash equals about an 80mm lens on the camera).

3. Set the ISO on the flash.

4. Set the f/stop on the flash.

5. Set the f/stop on the camera, as well as the shutter speed.

"How does the AUTO mode work on the SB-28 with the 503CW?"

There is a small, round black "eye" on the front of the flash. When you trip the shutter and the flash goes off, light from the flash strikes the subject and is reflected back into the "eye." Based on the ISO and f/stop you've set on the flash, when the eye has received a sufficient amount of reflected light, it assumes the subject has been properly exposed and it shuts down the flash head output.

I use a Nikon SC-11 pc cord that connects from the side of the SB-28 to the Hasselblad lens. Also, take the flash out of standby mode because if the flash goes into standby, the Hasselblad will not "wake up" the flash and it will not trigger when you take a shot with the Hasselblad. Also, if you use some sort of bracket if its metal make sure it doesn't short out any of the pins on the bottom of the flash hot shoe. I use a bracket with that has a channel in the flash holder so it will not short out the pins.