Southern Utah in October/November

bobatkins

Thanks for the tips. There's a small chance I may get to take a trip around that time and I think the northern half of the US is probably out. Things are pretty much finished in Yellowstone and not only is it cold there, but it might snow (or not). Early fall and Winter (when there IS snow for sure) are times for Yellowstone and similar parks.

I've been to most of the California spots, but haven't spent much time in southern Utah, which is why I'm asking about that area. There's quite a bit around there, including the parks mentioned above, plus Monumant Valley, the Grand Canyon and Canyonlands, as well as more I've probably missed. Seems like a good area to tour.

Bob, I've been to Zion twice in early October. One time it was hot (above 100F in the unshaded low areas), but the humidity was low. The other time it was comfortable, but it snowed six inches in the mountains -- at Cedar Breaks, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, etc. -- on October 8! We left the North Rim on October 7, when it was comfortable even in the 8000' altitude passes.

Otherwise the conditions were great: beautiful scenery with no crowds, golden aspens on the way to the Rim, a few mule deer along the roads, etc.

The average high temperature in Zion drops from 77F in October down to 62F in November, while the average precip increases from 1 inch to 1.5 inches. Some of the other scenic areas in the region are colder.

Someday, I'd love to photograph a light blanket of snow on the red earth of Zion or at the Rim....

"Brandon's Dad"<div>009JB3-19388984.jpg.fc3b6377a5a9dce1475cbeb2bd0673b0.jpg</div>

Consider also some of the lesser known spots in the area. Snow Canyon State Park just north of St George UT and Valley Of Fire St Pk off I15 between St George and LasVegas. Also off I15 north of St G is the Kolob Canyon section of Zion.

We found small crowds that time of year.

Last half of Sept in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons has nice color.

Enjoy

Bob Tescione

Bob, all I can say is October/November is my absolute favorite and most productive time to photograph in Southern Utah (and you can see many examples on my web site).<br>

Kinda hard to list a lot of specifics in a short post here (way too many options), but if you find yourself headed this way send me an email offline and I can help you work out a travel plan.<br>

<br>

Guy<br>

<a href="http://www.scenicwild.com">Scenic Wild Photography</a>

Guy - many thanks. You have some really nice work on your website!

<p>

The trip is a "maybe", depending on how other obligations work out, but it never hurts to prepare a little in advance, just in case things work out.

<p>

Last time I was in that area I planned to see Bryce, Zion etc,. but I got sick with a bad cold and missed out on them. Time to try again and hope for better luck!

I second what Guy has to say. I typically try to head in that general vicinity mid to late October. I have been many places there, some of my favorites include the Escalante area, Capitol Reef, and the broad area around Grand Gulch (stupendous if you hit the colors). Of course, the aspen around Boulder are fantastic, there are no people at all in Kodachrome State park.. I could go on forever :-).

I may be in those parts about the same time. Bob, drop me a line, would love to meet up with ya.

Paul

Hi Bob,

I'll be down there myself for the last 2 weeks of October. Our goal is to get the peak fall color in Canyon de Chelly. Our itinerary is basically Capitol Reef, Cedar Mesa, Canyon de Chelly, Page/Paria, and Zion. Depending upon how the fall colors go, that could change based upon our #1 priority. The only things that are fixed are our permits for N. Coyote Buttes and the Subway in Zion (both towards the very end). From what I've heard we may find some fall color in Zion (my understanding is that the peak is in November). Luckily we have permits for 2 days at N. Coyote Buttes so that gives us some flexibility (yes, sacrilege at not using them I know).

Now from my experience, you get some pretty nice fall color in the southwest corner of the state, particularly near Cedar Breaks NM and off Hwy 14 (http://www.photo.net/photo/2004539). I missed the peak last year by 1 or 2 days (I chatted a bit with Bob Park in his "Plateau Light" gallery in Springdale. He did make the peak - very nice guy, I would recommend stopping in for a chat).

Who knows? Maybe I'll run into you down there. Will be more than happy to throw another steak for you on the bbq (we'll be car camping and I'll be taking a small weber grill with me - why be savages? :P)

Kosta

PS. To Rich, Thanks for the link!

Permits? To paraphrase a famous movie line "Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits..."

I presume the permits are for visiting delicate areas where they don't want too much traffic? I know about the Antelope Canyon situation, and the requirments at Monument Valley, but are there many other areas that need (hard to get) permits to visit? I'm thinking of areas not more than a mile or so from the road. My travelling companion isn't currently up to making long day hikes so if we go we won't be going deep into the backcountry.

Like I said, I don't know if I'll be able to make this trip, so I don't want to make any commitments very far in advance. My main experience with permits has been with Ano Nuevo and the Elephant Seals, where you used to have to book them the day they started taking orders (Jan 1st) if you wanted to get a permit for the end of February!

Yes, the "Wave" is in the North Coyote Buttes that is administered by the BLM. I spent a couple of days there last October. I had a permit for one day and was lucky to hook up with a guy who was going back the next day and his wife wanted a break. It's about a 3 mile hike, best done early morning as it is pretty darn hot later in the day.

Its a small area, hence the regulations (that is the reason given at least). The permits go pretty quick, always within an hour that they become available online.

The Wave is definitely something you want to see at some point in your life. My 2nd day, there was hardly anyone there, so when I stopped shooting, it was just great to soak it all in. They do offer 10 permits in a lottery basis for the next day if case you cannot get them online. And you don't always get 10 people showing up.

Hope you make it. I simply cannot wait!

I?ve been to Zion twice the first week of November. Most restaurants and motels are open including Zion Lodge. The best part is not having to ride the park buses. They shut down in late October. The fall foliage starts changing at that time. The trouble being that you never sure if the trees are at or near peek color. If the weather is nice Zion will still be somewhat crowded. Last November 3rd I was at Bryce and it snowed. It wasn?t New England cold and the new snow made for a great photo opp. We spent the sunrise and sunset at Sunset Point. The Bryce lodging and restaurants are closed. There are many more places to stay now than before when Ruby?s Inn was the only place. I?ve been to Coyote Buttes twice in early November. The day isn?t as long because of the later sunrise and earlier sunset times. The hike, though tough, is more comfortable with the lower daytime temps. Lower Antelope Canyon under clear sky is extremely satisfying.