I'm traveling to Chicago over the coming holiday weekend. I'm

carrying 24, 28, 50 and 80-200mm lenses. Any suggestions for good

locations and time to shoot? I need to place myself favorably for the

skyline, Millennium park, Navy Pier, Grant Park, Miracle Mile, the

Loop and the river.

Any other recommended spots?

Thanks,

Rahul

Chicago's architecture is beautiful on it's own. Skip navy pier, it's just a tourist trap with no real photographic possibilites (for me anyway).

<p>

I've only been to Chicago once, a year ago this month. When I went I dedicated myself to black and white and really enjoyed the city.

<P>

I spent most of my time in the loop/miracle mile area and while i carried a map, I let the city direct me where to go.

<P>

Here's a link to some of the photos I took <a href="http://www.abstrakt.org/loop/">Around the Loop</a>

<P>

Cheers,

Frank

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you're into architecture, take one of the tours put on by the architecture society (www.architecture.org) - I really enjoyed my tour of the modern buildings, and the guide we had was excellent. Some of the photos in my link were taken on the tour.

I agree w/ the previous poster who said that Navy Pier is a tourist trap but depending what kind of shots you are looking for it may have some opportunities for you. You get a great view of the skyline from the ferris wheel and also from the far end of the pier, but there is nothing at the pier itself that is very exciting in my opinion. (though if you have a few extra minutes you may want to check out the free stained glass window museum at the pier - interesting.)

Do go to Millenium Park if you get the chance. The new "Bean" is quite interesting. Have fun.

Th best spot to get the whole skyline is on the boardwalk that goes around the Shedd Aquarium. Free trolleys can take you there, it's right next to the Field Museum of Natural History. Where you can take a picture of Sue, the most complete skeleton of a T-Rex ever found.

Oak Street beach is the ideal place to get a shot of the magnificent mile and the John Hancock building.

The ultimate advise on this question, you may not like hearing, but here it is - you're 'gonna have to rouse yourself out of bed early. Be at any of these locations mentioned above at/around sunrise. The sun coming off the lake will illuminate these locations like you'll never see at normal hours, that is if you want good shots. Hope you use a good polarizer.

Rahul - I agree with Alejandro's point about shooting the city from Shedd Acquarium and David's point about getting up early and shooting the skyline with the sun creeping up. Downtown gets very shady starting around 5pm, but you can find interesting light canyons here and there between skyscrapers. At dusk or so you can meander up and down Michigan Avenue (or many other streets less touristy) for streetphotography, and then after dark hit the bars! You might also want to check out Lincoln Park Zoo and the streets in that area.

Finally, along the Chicago River is Lower Wacker Drive and you can get interesting perspectives within and through this semi-underground passage.

Have fun and post your pix.

I agree with checking out the Shedd boardwalk. You might also check out:<BR>

1) Views from the lake shore on the north side (Lincoln Park). <BR>

2) The view from one of the bridges crossing over the North-South branch of the Chicago river, like Grand Avenue.<BR>

3)I've never tried it, but you can go to the top of the Hancock, http://www.hancock-observatory.com/, but note that there are no tripods allowed.<BR>

4) Take the architectural tour

Agreed, skip Navy Pier.

Go south of loop at night for less obstructed tripod night shots of the skyline.

By and large, all of these are typical shots. depending on what you like, I might suggest taking the EL to some of the neighborhoods where Chicagoans actually live and play. try Bucktown, Lincoln Square, Pilsen, Hyde Park, Andersonville. You won't be bumping into many DSLR-toting tourists and you'll get a real feel of the city. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. I have lived here for 7 years and am an avid photographer.

As others have already metioned skip Navy Pier unless you like that tourist trap thing. For a decent skyline shot head out to the Alder just beyond the Shedd. The view is great. I'm also not a fan of the Mag. Mile. Not much character and far to touristy for me. I had a much better time on the other side of the Chi River with the El running above the streets. Everything had a lot more character and not the sea of people you find walking down the mile. If it were me I'd just start walking. It's a great city to get lost in.

If you'd like you can see some of the stuff I shot there on my two visits at:

http://photo.timgruber.com/images/chinov/index.htm

http://photo.timgruber.com/images/chi/index.htm