Titanium M7 and titanium lenses a first?

socke

Hm, as I just read <a

href="http://www.fotoschnack.de/postnuke/html/PagEd-index-topic_id-4-page_id-148.phtml">here</a>

Leica presents a Leica M7 with outer body panels made from massive

titanium as well as 28 'cron, 50 'lux and 90 'cron.<br>

I wonder wether this is a first for Leica, as far as i recall the

former titanium versions where anodized and not massive.<br>

This could be the most durable Leica ever!

Only titanium? What about solid gold? Platinum? Kryptonite? Paper mache?

Plasticine? Blue tack? It's well past the time for Leica to issue special editions

in sealed packages that only retain their value if the seal on the package is

unbroken, just like the investment diamond trade.

What a stupid and pointless exercise. Please note that I am not attacking the

messenger, just the concept.

Why can the camera not be taken out and used? If the seal is never to be broken then Leica do not even need to put innards in the camera. In fact they dont even have to put a camera in the box! (Just 'ballast') No one will ever know the difference if the seal is never broken.

Are you saying that collectors are now happy to place a sealed box on a shelf to admire? Surely these people are ill!

If I was rich enough to be able to afford a solid titanium Leica M7 then I would be rich enough to use it. I would insist on the seal being broken in the shop and all of the cameras functionality being tested to ensure it wasn't faulty before I paid for it. (Including running a roll through it and seeing the results to ensure it was OK.) The idea of being rich (to me) is to be able to enjoy and use fine objects NOT hoard them in a safe.

Hoarding shows insecurity. Rolls Royces and Bentleys and Rolex watches are designed for a lifetime of frequent daily use by discerning people with the funds to enable them to escape from a life of 'consumer' items that wear out and age quickly.

The 'value' is in the objects quality, fitness to performs its function better than a lesser object, style and longevity, not the figure another collector will pay.

one of the best wedding/society photographers i ever knew had a beautiful gold rolleiflex -- some sort of special edition. this guy was a photographer's photographer, absolutely old school. he had done it all over his career, and had done it very well. but that old bastard loved his gold rollei.

even "real" photographers can enjoy owning and using a special camera.