OT-Film stored in safe

brett_davis1

Hi, all. I have some slides stored in a fire-proof safe in my garage.

My washer and dryer also live in the garage, and the dryer is not

vented to the outside, but spews its lint into a water basin. This

can make the garage pretty swampy at times. I was wondering whether

this environment would be bad for the film, but it occurred to me

that a fire-proof safe is probably humidity-proof as well, as long as

it's not opened when there's a lot of moisture in the air. Am I

correct in this? Any thoughts? Should I move the safe?

Thanks,

Brett

A fireproof safe does not mean it is humidity proof. It only means the contents of the safe will remain below a certain temperature for a certain length of time if the outside of the safe is subject to extremely elevated temperatures, as in a house fire. Fireproof safes usually have an ?hour rating? associated to them i.e., 1 hour rated, 2 hour rated, 4 hour rated, etc. Humidity within the safe will eventually equal that of its surroundings. Your options are to either move the safe, move the film out of the garage/safe, or install a dehumidifier inside the safe.

After looking at the prices of fire-proof safes and file cabinets, I decided to rent a safe deposit box at my local bank. I think I pay $20 a year or so and can fit a decent number of hard drives, negs, slides, CD's, etc inside.

I figure the bank has a better fire system than I could ever have.

Brett, get a Golden Rod made by Browning for the safe, it is essentially a lamp without light, generates a small amount of heat keeping the inside of the safe warmer than the outside. This means it will be always drier on the inside than the outside.

Do a search for A.G. English in Kanas (or one of those flat states) for prices and information.