Noise from Nikkor 70-200mm VR lens

charlie_fox1

Hello,

Just purchased a 70-200 VR, it is a great lens. I understand that

when you press the shutter VR get activated so there is a 'humming'

sound (very soft) which is expected. I realised apart from this

sound at the end of this 'humming' sound, there is also a click

sound (more prominent). Is this normal?

Mine has a soft click when VR goes off. It's barely audible, and I haven't given it a thought. There's no problem with its operation; the VR mechanism "parks" at the end of its duty cycle. "Silent" is a relative term. You will get a clattering sound if you turn the camera or VR off, or remove the lens while VR is still active. Again, this is normal (as described in the manual) and goes away after a couple of seconds.

As others have mentioned, the VR "clicks" when it locks or unlocks the floating elements. This protects the lens, and gives you a properly centered view when not using VR.

It also makes a noise like running water or rolling marbles when the VR is active.

It doesn't hum, unless you have a power supply problem. Are you seeing weird striped artifacts in backgrounds?

Thanks all for the answers. This is my first VR lens. It is a relief as this sound is kind of 'normal' for VR lenses. I do not want my lens to be sent for repairs so soon!!!

Sorry for the confusion by saying it is a 'humming' sound it is like running water or rolling marbles as Joseph mentioned.

• 2 years later...

Hi.

Like you, i just recently bought the nikon 18-200mm vr lense and i too experienced this clicking sound. It didnt happen when i turn off the vr function. I decided to see and check with the retailer and managed to do a few test run with a few vr lenses. I tried 3 VR lenses and all of them emit the exact sound that i got. This convinced me that its not my vr lense is at fault but fue to the fact that maybe it is suppose to react or sound that way heheh.. Anyways, appreciate feedbacks from other nikon vr lense users.