Nikon lenses - Canon "L" equivalents

asaf_tzadok

Hello,

I am getting a little confused when it come to Nikon lenses.

When you want to buy Canon high-end lens you need to check the "L"

(Luxury) lens.

Nikon use ED for indicating that ED elements are used. You can find

the 70-300 4-5.6 ED with relatively bad optical performance and you

can have a 70-200 2.8 ED with very good optics. My current

conclution is that when the price is high and you have constant and

wide aperture than you can say it is a high-end lens.

Canon use "L" for indicating high-end optics performance, indicating

that ultra low dispersion elements (they have levels) are used. They

have it with constant aperture (even F4) and with range aperture. It

does not always have to be with high price tag (70-200 F4/L is only

579$ at B&H).

I know several websites that have ranked lens but it feel like

relative comparision (not absolute). Photodo has absolute

comparison, but it is does not include all lenses (esp. DX format).

If you look at Nikkor 18-70 DX specification : 3xED glass elements,

1x aspherical lens - it sounds like "L" equivalent, but it does not

seem to be the case (I know that it is impossible to knoe lens

performance by looking at its spec).

Is there is any label that I miss ?

What is the Canon equivalent of Nikkor 18-70 3.5-4.5 IF-ED DX , in

terms of optics ? (I have a feeling that it is the Canon 28-105 3.5-

4.5 EF)

Can I still regard ED-lens as the mid/high lens ?

Thanks, Asaf.

"L" can be in the eye of the beholder. I had an EF 50/1.4 USM that was definitely "L" class optically but not marked as such. Canon uses calcium fluorite elements which I believe are inferior to ED glass. They undergo dimension changes too easily with respect to temperature, hence the white paint treatment and past infinity focusing (also found on some Nikons to a lesser degree).

An f/4 lens in the 70-200mm range in Nikon is indeed sorely lacking. If the lens is metal with the crinkle type finish, weighs a ton and costs a fortune, then its a pro Nikon lens.

Photodo is not a reliable source of information IMO.

Unlike Canon, Nikon does not label its lens to indicate whether "We made a effort" or "We really didn't make too much effort". Every Nikon lens represents a strong effort resulting in performance way above par for its specification and its price point. If you want to find a Nikon lens comparable to a Canon L lens, simply find a Nikon lens at roughly the same price point, with similar specification, and it is very likely that the Nikon lens will perform as well or better than the Canon lens, L or no L.

I think with respect to comparable lenses, Nikon is slightly more expensive, eg Nikon's 17-35 F2.8 vs Canon's 16-35.

Also Canon has more tilt/shift lenses.

But I do not respond to spoil the party. After all, Nikon is more innovative in some aspects (flash technology, etc). I think in Nikon's case, most VR lenses are supposed to be better lenses. It would make more sense if Nikon has designated a special pro line, but given all the confusion and overlap regarding G lenses, the old AF lenses, etc, I understand Nikon's hesitancy.

Bottomline - you have to do your research on a case by case basis. The new 200mF2 would be definitely a luxury lens sans peers.

Okay, I'll probably get pelted for this...

An expensive Nikon lens is an elite lens. I do not know of any expensive Nikon glass that is a dog.

However, the converse is not true. There are some inexpensive Nikon lenses that are gems. The 50mm/1.8 comes to mind.

Edward H , oct 26, 2004; 01:58 p.m.

> If you want to find a Nikon lens comparable to a Canon L lens...

Which Nikon lenses are weatherproofed, like all L's?

Define "weatherproofed". Does it consist mainly of a printed line in a Canon brouchure? I don't recall seeing much evidence of more practical "weatherproofing" on a 35-350, nor 17-40 (nice lens, BTW).

I don't know the details of how weather-sealing is handled on the Canon L lenses. I have

several of them. On some (500 IS) there is a little rubber gasket on the lensmount that

presumably is a barrier to dust and moisture. Not visible but probably present are similar

gaskets for focus and zoom rings. This is certainly reassuring but I still go FAR out of my

way to keep rain and dust off of them. How well the high-end Nikon lenses are sealed

relative to Canon "Ls" is not clear, but I presume Nikon does pay some attention to this

issue. No lens is likely to be completely sealed (else you'd risk having air pressure blow

the elements out of the barrel if you took it to high altitude or flew in a plane).

I used to have a Nikon 400 EFIF lens, which was a very fine optic. It focused considerably

past infinity, as does my Canon 500. I regarded this as an advantage: put on an

extension tube and you loose slightly less long-distance focus.

Folks, please understand that the quality of a lens (chromatic aberrations, resolution, etc, etc) is not "improved"by the use of fluorite glass (CaF2) or LD, ED, UD, etc specialty type glasses.

The use of such low dispersion glass types (fluorite and "ED") makes it possible to make the lens compact and lighter in weight. This is the MAJOR advantage. There were many different APO lenses made by many manufacturers before Canon ever learnt to make a simple, decent lens, for example. None of these sported any fluorite elements.

Canon's innovation with DO (diffraction optics) elements is a low grade technical solution to the same problem.

If anyone noticed, Nikon has introduced the same DO (forgot what they call it) feature in one of its Coolpix teleconverter attachments. This announcement from Nikon at the recent Photokina, I think is the step in the right direction (i.e. introducing this feature in a consumer level optics).

Vivek.

<I>Every Nikon lens represents a strong effort resulting in performance way above par for its specification and its price point.

</i>

<p>

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

<p>

Technically, Nikon's ED glass is very similar to Canon's UD glass. Therefore any ED lens would qualify for Canon's L designation.

<p>

Performance is a different matter, and can't necessarily be determined from the construction of the lens.

<p>

Just about everything else in this thread is nonsense.

Yes, that is correct. Low-dispersion glass is necessary to correct chromatic aberration in long lenses. In theory you might be able to correct it with a larger number of elements of less exotic glass, but it's not practical, due to cost, size and the undesirable optical effects of having too many elements (eg flare). In reality you can be certain that a lens of 200mm or more without exotic glass is going to suck.

Shun,

It is correct that ED is used to correct chromatic aberrations.

A set of high/low refractive glass use in a lens is used for chromatic aberration control.

You just do not need ED or fluorite for that. There are several hundreds of optical glass varieties that can be used to achieve that.

Moreover, when some glass elements are shaped in a special way, chromatic aberration control is also achieved. Until, Fuji's break through in this particular area, such shaping of a glass element by precision grinding made it expensive. Fuji's process can do that by injection molding.

That is why I am not overly swayed by all the ED, IF, SIC, NIC add ons following a lens's name nowadays.

Vivek.

Rather than speculate on the internet, I simply asked Nikon support which lenses were as tough as my F5. The constant f/2.8 zooms and the longer primes are considered "Pro" and are built to higher standards, such as weatherproofing. If you are a registered Nikon customer, you can ask them yourself and confirm what I say.

The "majority, concensus"would then be: No, it is a low end, low cost, consumer level lens.

If this makes you sit up and think what all these "ED", "Asph" do to make a lens better, you are on the right track!

Also, the 25-50 f/4 AIS nikkor (not cheap when they sold them!) has the best chromatic aberration control in a Nikon zoom. It does not have any Ed!

Vivek.

Until a few years ago, ED elements and AF-S used to indicate that a lens was "high end." That changed with the introduction of the $300+ 70-300mm/f4.5-5.6 AF-D with ED elements, followed by the likes of the 24-85mm/f3.5-4.5 AF-S G and 24-120mm AF-S G. The 18-70 DX kit lens is very much consumer-grade. Distortion and vignetting at 18mm/f3.5 wide open are pretty serious. The ~$300 price-tag is also consumer grade.

It is normal that technology makes its way down to the low-end products. 3D color matrix metering was a big deal on the F5 8 years ago. Now that is available on the cheapest Nikon DSLR.