ASA dial on M4

steve_bauer2

I've been researching M4 bodies on the internet and have learned that an M4 does not

have a light meter. What then is the ASA dial on the back for? Sorry if this is a dumb

question -- I researched it on Google and have not found an answer. Is it just to let the

photographer know what kind of film is in the camera? Or does it work with the

separately sold meter that's designed for the shoe? Thanks.

Well, no, I realize that there were days before auto-everything, and I don't see how this is

auto-anything. I have older cameras that have a slot for the bottom of the film box. I

didn't realize there would be a quarter-sized dial that had no function other than to

remind the photographer what film he was using. Thanks anyway.

<i>I've been researching M4 bodies on the internet and have learned that an M4 does not have a light meter. What then is the ASA dial on the back for? ...</i>

<p>

I fondle the back dial on occasion. Like everything else about the camera, it's exquisitely engineered. Would use it as a memory aid, but I always forget to set it! Film check windows are tacky, but they work.

You must not have any *really* old cameras! ;-)

Every meter-less camera I have from the 1940s-1960s has a film reminder dial somewhere (not always on the back).

---------------------

" I realize that there were days before auto-everything, and I don't see how this is auto-anything. I have older cameras that have a slot for the bottom of the film box. I didn't realize there would be a quarter-sized dial that had no function other than to remind the photographer what film he was using."

The film box slot is relatively recent (20 years?), but then finally all the manufacturers got together and standardized the cassette markings well enough so the camera back could have a little window to see what film was inside. Of course now you have the problem of constantly checking that the foam around the window is intact and light tight. New cameras read the ISO off a bar code on the cassette ~ nothing to set. Just don't lose the instruction book in case you want to figure out how to use a different exposure index than the ISO.