Street Photography

hans_lee

hmm. not bad. I expected worse from reading previous post on S&D. I liked what he had to say. Too bad that the music and the editing with quick changes added a hectic overtone to what he was saying. There was the excitement of the street with talking about how to blend in (in supposedly non-hectic way). We Americans like to talk in superlatives so being invisible doesn't really match what he was actually doing but in a way it was a good way to more around and shoot. I liked a few of the shots, especially the one of the couple and the two cars just meeting in front of them. The whole whing was frozen by the movie camera but I would have looked like a super shot.

hey cool, thanks. M6 TTL w/ 28mm V3 lens, no?

I thought he gave up Leiva years ago in favor of 8x10 and most recently Pentax 6x7?

Rene - In one of your posts couple weeks ago you said you were from Russia (or some place like that). Now you state "we Americans." Whats up, are from there or here? No matter, just curious..

Best - Paul<div>00HyEd-32244384.jpg.215f174391e5eea8c114d514cf4b5a18.jpg</div>

I admire the guy's guts...I wish I was so bold in the street! - but as others have said, I

wasn't overly impressed with the actual pics.

On reflection however, I think they will be of much more interest, historically at least in a

decade or two when the cars/clothes/hairdos will take us back down memory lane. It's

certainly the case with some old pics I took in the arly 90's in the streets of Paris - still not

that great but with a bit more impact than they originally had.

I think this is really more documentary photography and is actual a very valuable

contribution to historical record.

Meyerowitz is one of the great street photographers-- and one of the finest

writers on photography... But having said, I am tempted to say that his best work

perhaps lies behind him. The video clip was interesting but they weren't great pictures and

the narrative was clichéd. Compare it with his own commentary on his pictures in the little

Phaidon 55 series collection, which is inspirational.

I saw him do a show and lecture at the Tate (London) last year and he was a superb,

effortless performer. I'm afraid this video doesn't really do him justice -- or perhaps I

mean, Meyerowitz doesn't do himself justice in the video.

I think perhaps his street technique wouldn't look *quite* like this when not accompanied

by a film crew!

--alun

Like everyone else, I thought that "invisible" was a stretch, but there is no doubt that because the video camera is focused on him, he can't be invisible in the video, but the way he keeps moving might actually be less conspicuous if you were walking on the street than all that movement appears in the video. It makes me think.

In the U.S. yesterday morning, if you watched the NBC's Today Show and the CBS Sunday Morning show you would have seen two in-depth interviews with Joel Meyerowitz regarding his new book documenting the recovery efforts at Ground Zero. He was the only photographer granted unlimited access to the site immediately after 9/11 and for many months thereafter.

Hi Mike,

was that the Today Show of this Monday you are referring to? Couldn't find any link about

JM, so I would have to watch the entire 1-hour-webcast...

Do you know where, whithin that hour, the interview was shown?

Thanks, Peter