Which is better Contax 645 or Mamiya 645Afd?

jonjel

Greetings,

I'm interested in buying a 645 but cant decide which is a better

choice.

I like the 645afd and the contan 645 but i cant decide. Can somebody

help me decide. I know both cameras a good but il dont know which to

buy. Thnaks

Angelo

Angelo - how can anyone decide for you? You give no details of your budget or what you

intend to use the camera for. Have you tried searching the forum? This sort of question

has been asked many times before.

<p>

Two months ago you asked <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?

msg_id=009Vz9">Need help deciding 20d or S3</a> with no details of usage again. Can I

ask which one you ended up buying?

<p>

Did you pick up a <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008WRk">Hasselblad or Mamiya help me decide?</a> in June:<p>

<pre>

Im interested in purchasing a medium format camera but im having a hard time deciding

between the 503cw of Hasselblad or the Mamiya rz67 pro II. Thanks for the advice.</pre>

OK. Since you asked, I will decide this for you. Don't buy either. Or better yet, buy both. They are both great cameras and will take great photos. Just sell your car & use the money to buy all the great camera equipment you want. LOL. Sounds like this person is bored & has too much time on his hands.

Between the 20D and S3, i ended up in buying the Canon because I waited long enough for the S3. The reviews of both cameras are good but the AF of the S3 according to the reviews are still the same with the S2. You know guys, i was just asking for an opinion because maybe some of you have tried it. Here we cant rent a camera to try, once we buy it we cant return it if were not satisfied. your the pros thats why i ask so many questions. Many thanks

Angelo,

I think what the guys are telling you is buying a camera is a personal decision based on anticipated use. There is no way we can give you an informed decision based on the information you have provided.

Last year when I elected to replace my RB67 it took me six months of intensive evealuation before I found a camera that matched my needs. Both the Contax and Mamiya are great cameras, you just need to evaluate your needs...

I went through the same exercise two years ago, exactly between these two. My recommendation is rent both, see how you like the handling and functioning of both, try out the flash, etc., print the pictures out, or look at the slides if you shoot slides, then decide which one you want, considering the hangling and functions of each, and the look of the picture from each.

It is totally up to you, and you have to try it to avoid regret.

william,

what did you end up buying? I read many reviews of both cameras they all point to the contax because of the lens. Will you really see the difference between the mamiya lens? The only problem with the contax is the price of the lens is to high compared to the mamiya. I plan to use the 645 for portraiture and weddings. Thanks for the tip

Angelo:

I ended up with the Contax. It is a great camera, and the only thing I wish can be better is the battery life. I bought the battery grip that can use AA battery, so it is not too bad.

I know Mamiya 645 AFD is also a great camera, and there are a lot of fans out there who have chosen it. Here are my two personal reasons to choose Contax: 1. When I was comparing the lenses from both system in a pro store, I was amazed to see the clarify and the solid glass look of the Zeiss lense. And Zeiss is know for making contrasty lenses, which are what I like. 2. I saw some people at the Mamiya user forum complaining minor problems with various Mamiya 645 systems. I just felt that the chance of regret by going to Contax is smaller than that with Mamiya.

Just my personal preference. If this 645 is subject to heavy professional use, the battery life issue may become a cost issue.

I can think of good cause to purchase either or even the Pentax 645 AF for that matter. I have owned the Pentax 645 in MF as well as AF and found them to be quite nice, but I currently own the Mamiya 645 AFD for its digital options and integrations. Don't get caught up in lenses alone as I use CZJ optics on the Mamiya all the time.

Consider what you plan to use camera for and see if either system supports your usage.

• 2 weeks later...

Angelo:

Sorry for getting back to your question a little late because I have not checked this post recently.

I do photography as my serious hobby, mainly landscape and family portrait. Architecture is not my main subject, even though when I travel overseas, I become attracted by some unique architecture and can not resist shooting.

Changable film/digital back was one of my consideration when I excluded Pentax 645N.

William,

I really like the contax but the only draw back is the price of the lenses. The body has the same price with the 645afd but lenses are expensive. I know the lenses are much better than the mamiya.I like taking portraiture and architecture. maybe when i compare them up close i'll know which is the best suited for me.

I had a M645Pro with all man focus lenses. My Contax lenses are contrastier, sharper and more expensive. The used prices are doable, but then I haven't compared them against M645AFD lenses.

I wish I had time and knew some one in the Miami/Lauderdale area with the Mamiya where we could share cameras for a day. I think it would make an interesting user test.

If anyone wants to try this out sometine in 2005 send me a mail.

Have a nice Holiday all.

md

>Angelo De Silva , dec 01, 2004; 04:54 a.m.

"Tim, Whats a CZJ lens ? Were can i buy those lenses? Thanks"

Carl Zeiss Jena. I've seen many posts here on these- so a quick search should work.

I own the 50mm/4, 80mm/2.8, 120mm/2.8, and 180mm/2.8.

Back with Pentax is use the 300mm/4, but let it go...