Photo website with Dreamweaver MX

Maybe I should have just asked what can I use to make a thumbnail based photo page t

hat let's you enlarge when clicked on, and that is presentable but not immensely time c

onsuming? Even if I don't use Dreamweaver this time around... can't I make one using P

SCS? Or what would you suggest.

Hi Matthew, I used MX for my first and only (so far) attempt at a web site, www.coastal-photographic.com I am not in any way computer or IT work related, this site took me just two weeks from start to finish (yes I know it shows) I used the help files, and a search on google for free dreamweaver tutorials, and worked from there.

If you want to do any kind of e-commerce at your site then do yourself a favor and find a professional web site designer near you. Don't waste time trying to find someone on the net get a local professional and don't try to do it yourself. If e-commerce isn't your goal then read on.

As a beginner you will need to keep your web site building goals quite modest. Just a few pages to start with would be appropriate.

Good web site design begins on paper:

1 Make a list of your favorite photography sites.

2 List the attributes/features of those sites that you would like to incorporate into your site.

3 Draw a simple flow chart of how the pages will connect and what will be on them.

After you have fully built and tested the site on your hard drive you will then upload (a.k.a. copy) it to your web hosts server (a.k.a. hard drive).

If you find the manual that came with your software (you do have a manual I hope) isn't helpful enough then I suggest getting a supplement such as the Visual Quick Start Guide from Peachpit Press. You could also search for tutorials online but that won't be nearly as helpful as the book I listed above. Good luck.

I have been using Dreamweaver since version 3 so I have a little experience with it. You should start by simply going through the tutorials that are built into the program. Click "Help > Getting Started and Tutorials." If you can't find what you're looking for there then do google searches until you find your answer. Do not use frames for your site. A good site takes time to design and build, then you need content. Feel free to browse my site, I only use Dreamweaver MX.<br><br>

Carl Pearson<br>

<a href="http://www.pearsonimaging.com" target="_blank">www.pearsonimaging.com</a></p>