17-40/4L again, can't see that its sharp compared to 18-55?

camilla

So I did put my camera on a tripod and shot a bookcase at home (Oh how

utterly boring!) to check my new 17-40 against my old 18-55 EF-S lens.

As you could see in my post a couple of days ago I was not at all

impressed with my 17-40 and now I suspect it's not functioning

properly. It's not sharper than the 18-55 with both at their widest

setting, and I tried this at all apertures. Are they really that

close, or is there something wrong?

Camilla, nothing is wrong, the 17-40 is not a brilliant example of canons lense quality (although it is very good) but you do (from what I see in those tests) have an exeptional 18-55. Mine never looked that good at any F stop.

I have just got a 16-35/2.8 and am reasonably pleased but I still don't think these zooms are better than primes, FWIW.

Keep in mind that the extra $$ for the 17-40 pays for more than just image quality. I bought a DRebel at the same time a good friend of mine bought his. I happened to have the money for a 17-40, he did not. He takes many good pictures with his lens, but longs for the USM speed, constant aperture, manual focus ring, distance scale, and build quality of the "L" lens. Will he rush out and replace his 18-55? Probably not. He's more likely to buy a 70-200 f4L or 100 f2.8 macro. Do you have all the focal lengths you want? Perhaps your 17-40 is a bad copy. Perhaps your 18-55 is a great copy. Only you can decide if ALL the qualities of the 17-40 together are worth the additional $600-- or is there another lens you might like instead?

Actually I'm glad I could see for myself that the difference in image quality isn't that huge. The biggest difference is colour, which is a bit nicer with the 17-40. I too realise that it's not only image quality I pay for when getting the 17-40, but now I will spend my money on something wider instead. I already have 20 and 24mm primes, so the zoom was mostly for the few millimeters on the wide end, and convenience in some situations.

Sheldon!

I recently traded my Canon 24/2.8 for a Sigma 24/1.8 to get better low light opportunities. However, from just using the two 24mm lenses,I'd say they are about equally sharp. I did do the bookshelf shoot again today with the 17-40 at 24mm and my Sigma 24mm to see if I could help you. I found the 17-40 soft at 24mm and f4, but the Sigma was almost as soft. At f8 both were sharp, and the 17-40 no worse than the prime as you can see for yourself. I focused manually with both lenses. This of course is only indoor shots of a bookshelf less than a meter away. I couldn't say how they would perform side by side in different light outside.

The comparision between my 17-40 and 18-55 was done at the widest setting on both lenses. 17mm and 18mm respectively.

I have found that my 17-40 performed best at the long end where it is very sharp, wide open. That's not very useful for me though, as I have another lens covering that.

I just did some tests of my 18-55 and 17-40, and I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed with the results. Though the 17-40 is sharper, and I might also say significantly so, I'm disppointed that it's not more so.

My tests were done outdoors under somewhat hazy conditions with objects hundreds of meters away. I used a 20D with a lot of care in focusing on a tripod with timer & MLU at f/8 and f/11.

I noticed slight sharpness and colour improvements with the 17-40, particularly at 40, and that chromatic abberation / "purple" fringing are present on both on some objects, but much more pronounced on the 18-55. The colour of the edges changes between the lenses, and is much more noticable on the 18-55. I don't think that this was the result of changing lighting, but that is possible. I wasn't expecting this at the time of shooting so didn't pay careful attention. I recommend doing your own tests to check this out. I'll re-do my tests at some point.

Oh, and the 50 1.8 II was still clearly superior.

You cant compare lenses just like this. Any lense will be sharp if you know how to focus it perfectly. Sharpness depends on your eyes and hands...18-55 is not advisable to shoot weddings in the fistplace anyway... that is why I got 17-40L for my 20D. It's sharp.

Well, I also found the 17-40 sharper than my 18-55, but not superior enough to be worth the price I paid... (more expensive in Europe). So, I'm already rid of mine, planning to try out the 10-22 instead when it becomes available.

And, Mad Wand, my favourite lens is my 50/1.4 :)

When you consider a third to half the price of a lens is retail markup, then allow for the cost of the considerably more expensive build of the 17-40L, metal body, more glass, weather proofing gaskets, USM and shorter productions runs (which equate to higher unit costs), there is probably not a lot left over to be spent on better optics - maybe $100 or even less goes into better optics compared with the EF-S. I guess my point is I think it is reasonably safe to assume the price difference between the EF-S and the 17-40 L does not mean an extra $550 is going into the optics, maybe more like $100.

Also it seems like short back focus has destinct advantages in producing reasonably good performing wideangle lens at relatively low cost, compared with conventional 35 mm designs. Remeber the 17-40L is designed to be an ultra wide angle on a 35 mm camera. These are expensive to produce. The equivalent EF-S in APS C format is the 10-22, which costs $800. So using the 17-40 L as a normal lens on a 10D, instead of the EF-S, is basically using an ultra-wide angle from a different format that is difficult to design well as a normal lens. If you follow my convoluted thinking I guess it is not that suprising that the 17-40L doesn't blow the EF-S 18-55 out of the water.