Migrating Photoshop CS to new computer

Hello everybody

I have just bought a new computer and I need to install Photoshop CS

on it. At the moment I have Photoshop CS on my old computer and I need

to move it to the new computer. I haven't done anything to the new

computer (in fact it's not even unpacked!).

I heard that there is problem because you have to get an unlock code

from Adobe via the internet; and Adobe will not give you a new unlock

code because it will say that that copy of Photoshop CS is already

registered on another computer.

What to do? Please help. I will of course remove Photoshop CS from the

old computer. And so I have to migrate all the settings plus all the

plug-ins that I have installed.

My Operating System is Windows XP Professional.

Thank you all in advance.

If you have an external hard drive you should be able to save the Adobe folder and then put it on your new computer. Or use CD's or DVD's and use backup for the Adobe folder and on your new computer restore. It worked for me with Adobe 5.0 and CorelDraw 7.0 and I'll be doing the same thing again with Adobe 7.0, CS and everything else I want soon.

Rick

Call Adobe and request a new activation code. Explain what you've done, and there should be no problem. You are allowed to have PS-CS on two machines, a work station and a laptop, if they are not used simultaneously. Otherwise, you need to uninstall the original copy.

You have a grace period (30 days?) after installation before the activation code is required for operation.

I just upgraded my computer with a new motherboard, CPU and more memory. This required that I reinstall WinXP and Photoshop CS. Both WinXP and CS require "activation" and both asked to be activated when they were reinstalled and both activations went through the internet without hesitation. And I should point that I already have CS installed and activated on my laptop and that WinXP has been reactivated more than once because of various hardware upgrades and all of these activations have gone through without a problem.

When activation first came out I was not a big fan but now that I have used it for a while I find it not to be such a big deal. MS and Adobe are sophisticated enough to know that their customers are going to be upgrading/replacing their computers from time to time. I suspect they have an unannounced policy of allowing multiple activations as long as they are separated by significant chunks of time and probably other factors as well.

Adobe limits the frequency of activiation. Limited to (I believe) twice every six months last time I asked. It can be a problem if you have a hard drive crash or any other change to hard drives that requires reloading. Virus problems, problems with Microsoft upgrades, etc. are so frequent these days that the only solution is to have multiple hard-drives and put CS on one that is reliable and not used by anything else. Adobe was being idealistic with this restriction - but it is not practical. Perhaps they could charge $20.00 for each activation past the base frequency.