F2AS. What is your opinnion about it?

jose_francisco

You can read about the F2AS right here in fact:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/35mm/old-slrs

The F2AS section of the very very good Photography in Malaysia Site, usually the first place to look when considering classic Nikon stuff. It's all here: bodies, lenses, compatability, accessories, opinions, instruction manuals...

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/f2/nikonf2as/index.htm

This should get you going.

Also take a look at <A href="www.cameraquest.com">Steven Gandy's site</A>.

My opinion is that the F2AS is the finest manual SLR ever made. I like the - o + diodes in the DP-12 meter. The F2A model with the DP-11 meter is also pretty great if you prefer needle metering.

OOPS! Hit the button too soon.

Also take a look at <A href="www.cameraquest.com">Steven Gandy's site</A>.

My opinion is that the F2AS is the finest manual SLR ever made. I like the - o + diodes in the DP-12 meter. The F2A model with the DP-11 meter is also pretty great if you prefer needle metering.

If the camera has not been used, figure on a CLA ($150-$250)as the internal lubrication has possibly dried out.

I wouldn't turn one down if you tossed it at me (well, I might duck). The F2A and F2AS

both meter with AI lenses, so your lenses should be just fine. As for price, KEH is selling a

bargain condition F2AS for $415 and an Excellent Plus F2A for $500, so that price seems a

bit steep to me, but that's up to you. Like the F they have a reputation for being total

tanks.

Something that might be an issue is that if that thing's never been used the shutter speeds

might be off just because it sat on a shelf instead of doing what cameras are supposed to

do, and a CLA will be in order.

You can read many user reviews <a href="http://www.photographyreview.com/35mm/Nikon,F2/PRD_84448_3105crx.aspx">here</a>.

If you like the FM2, you very likely will love the F2AS. The overall impression is of a somewhat larger and heavier, much more substantial FM2. The interfaces and features are very similar, so it's easy to switch between the two cameras or use them both on the same photo outing. The 100% finder on the F2AS is very nice to have and its - o + LED layout will seem familiar from the FM2. However, the placement of the shutter speed, metering and aperture indicators at the bottom of the F2AS finder makes it easy to take in all of the finder information at once, whereas you need to look around the edges of the FM2 finder to gather the same information. <p>

The F2AS is more limited for flash use than the FM2. The top sync speed is 1/80 and the hot shoe is an optional accessory that fits over the rewind knob. Therefore, even if you go to the trouble of mounting a flash, the flash head will not be centered above the lens axis as is preferable. Top shutter speed is 1/2000, with "stepless" speeds available (between click stops) above 1/80. <p>

Your AIS lenses will work just as they they do with the FM2. I think the F2AS is much better balanced than the FM2 when I'm handholding lenses like an 85/1.4 or a 180/2.8.

I think it is the coolest Nikon camera. It is like an antique, but perfectly usable (it is my uncle`s only camera, he makes much better photos than I do). I love to see him (70+ years old) with the camera hanging on his shoulder. He is guilty of my liking.

Just for pleasure, I would buy one if it is in a real like-new condition, and if I have money to waste. You have an FM2, it is "moreless the same" in practical terms, an "economic" lighter version. For the rest of reasons, I prefer newer models (from the F3 on).

The Nikon F2 is a great camera and the F2As is my favorite

model. Ive owned five, three at once as I shot for hire

back then. Two were F2As (PD-12(s)) and one was a plain F2 with a

DE-1 finder. The F2As has the heft to balance heavier lenses.

There is an optional DW-2, 6x waist level finder and DA-1 sports

finder and a wide array of focus screens available.<br>

<br>

Here is a weight comparison. These are with a Nikon 1" AN-4B

nylon strap and batteries as indicated...<br>

<br>

F2As = 877g *(w/ two S-76 batteries and AR-1 Soft Release)<br>

FM2n = 571g *(w/ DL-1/3N Lithium battery)<br>

<br>

The metering is pretty much identical. If you like the FM2n youll

love the F2As. I kept my cleanest F2As. I wish Id kept two.

The FM2n makes a great backup to the F2As. I highly recommend the

camera.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

In 1978, I saw a Nikon F2As in a shop window for the first time. "Someday", I said to myself. Later, an 105/2.5 AI was added to that dream. Reading this thread, I realize my old yearning's still there. Likely the greatest manual SLR camera ever made.

Others may chip in, but I recall that one of the things to watch out for is wearing out of the variable resistor in the speed control on the AS photomic finder. They are increasingly hard to replace/repair. So get a good 'un. It will outlive you, in all likelihood.

The F2 is, to me , the best camera ever built. It is nearly indestructible unless you worked for Geographic, it runs and runs and runs and is nearly perfect in design. It is the one camera that never got in the way of my photograpy. If I wanted to shoot, I picked it up and next thing I knew had the photo. If I were to go back to film in a serious way it would be with an F2 and an F4s. I still have an F2 just in case. $600 for one in new condition? Absolutely!

Rick H.

Sover Wong talks about the "resistor" issue on his website. He claims--with authority--that late-run DP-1 finders(within given serial# ranges)used the improved wire-clad resistors found on the DP-11 and later F2 finders.This means that late '75-'76 F2s with this final run of DP-1s is as reliable as the far pricier F2s of '77 and beyond.Unless the AI coupling is crucial, there's practically no difference between late-run DP-1s and the DP-11, aside from a price premium with the latter.The only other real problem with NOS bodies of this vintage is foam decay which can crud up mirrors and shutters.

<em>"The serial number is F2-77979XX, when was

manufactured? Thanks." --J.F. Negrete<br>

</em><br>

Nikon used to indicate the year of manufacture by the first two

digits so 77XXXXX would indicate a manufacture date sometime in

1977. If they ran out of serial numbers they would move on to 78XXXXX

before 1978 (so Im told). Since you have a high 77XXXXX

serial number chances are very good your camera was made in 1977.<br>

<br>

Even if they dumped this scheme in 1977 chances are very good

that your camera was made in 1977 or 1978. My F2As serial number

79244XX was bought in September 1979. As I recall all five of the

F2(s) I owned had serial number where the first two digits were

the same as the year in which I bought them.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I've had mine since 1979, when I bought it new, and would never consider selling it at any price. Although I use my N80 more now and have to admit I get more "keepers" with it, there is nothing quite like shooting with the F2AS, especially with its original 50mm AIS lens and then hand cranking the film back into the cartridge after it's finished. It's quite the precision instrument and is tough as nails. I would expect the FM is too, just smaller.

• 4 years later...
<p>The Nikon F2AS is the finest mechanical camera ever made by Nikon. It has been one of the ultimate professional cameras and mounts almost all lenses made by Nikon, including the most advanced ones. Its viewfinder is just incredible. It is probably one of the best cameras ever made. I own one and every time I look through the viewfinder and release the shutter I get a feeling no other camera has given me. The FM2 is more an every day "student" camera, the F2AS is a piece of history. If the conditions of the one you found are good, buy it.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I was able to find a brand new black titanium F2AS about a year and a half ago. Papers, box, registration and all. It was not cheap. Some told me to put it on a shelf as a special display camera. NO WAY!! This camera was going to get some use. It has. I use it with a 28 F2 AIS lens and a 50 F1.8 AIS and the 80-200 F2.8 ED. Being the last hand made camera that nikon did, it's a "masterpiece". </p>