Lens hood for Digital Rebel 58mm lens

robert_sturm

I tried getting a lens hood for the 58mm lens that comes with the

Digital Rebel. The camera shops say they only have a lens hood that

screws into the lens and it is only 3/4 inch long.

I want a bayonet mount lens hood for this 58mm lens. Also, it should

be longer then 3/4 inch. Does anyone know if such a lens hood is

available and where to get it?

Thanks in advance.

<p>A lot of low-end camera stores which stock point and shoot cameras and entry-level SLRs don't carry anything but generic screw-in lens hoods. Even higher-end camera stores (ones which would stock a wide selection of SLR lenses, higher-end SLRs, etc.) often don't have a complete selection of the lens manufacturers' lens hoods - there are almost as many different Canon lens hoods as there are Canon lenses - but they may have the more common ones.</p>

<p>Any retailer who can order Canon bodies and Canon lenses should be able to order Canon lens hoods. If it's a low-end shop you'll have to be very specific about what you want because they won't know. Take the lens' manual and point out the section where it gives the model number of the hood. Make sure they write down the model number. Then they'll order the right thing.</p>

I use a generic 58mm wide angle lens hood for mine. It's about 3/4" long. Since this is a wide angle lens you will need the hood to be short or wide to avoid vignetting. I find that this hood helps to keep my fingers off the glass and reduces flare a bit.

Not sure how long/wide the Canon bayonet version is, but since the filter ring rotates, you can't easily use a "perfect" style hood with the cutouts for the corners.