Calumet Caltar 210 6.8 any good?

willie_jan_bons2

The current Calumet Caltar II-E 210 mm f6.8 lens is the same as the Rodenstock Geronar. The current Caltars are known to be from Rodenstock, and the specs on the two lenses are virtually identical.

Both lenses should be in #1 shutters, have the same 49 mm filter thread and 195 mm flange focal distance.

Calumet's webpage specs the lens to cover 60 degrees / 242 mm diameter at f22, which is slightly more than Rodenstock's figures for the Geronar in a 1982 brochure that I have.

You will find more about the lens under the Geronar name -- you can use the advanced search page of google to search the archives of this forum by limiting the domain to www.photo.net.

The lens is a triplet (Calumet's webpage confirms this for the Caltar II-E), which is the simplest design that can correct all abberations. The design isn't equal to modern plasmat designs, but it should work well for 4x5 film and reasonable enlargements. It is an economy lens and the price should be lower.

Haven't checked lately but that price seems high. I sold a similar but older Geronar for $185. This lens has two advantages over the normally used 6 element lenses. It's smaller but the advantage isn't as great with 210's. And it should be cheaper. Check prices on the better 210's first. Not quite up to the 6 elements in performance and coverage but works fine. Personally I would pass on this deal and look for a better lens at that price ($299) or finding a similar one for under $200.

Price issues aside, for most work, the Caltar II-E 210mm f/6.8 has plenty of movement for 4x5 and will cover 5x7. For such a simple design, the lens performs shockingly well. It is worth considering if you want something that is more portable than the larger, more complex 210s. If I was buying, however, I would not pay as much for one of these as for a 210mm with a more complex design.