Elan IIE).

As a landscape photographer, I just purchased a 17-40mm L (I found

the 28mm on my 28-135mm IS lens wasn't wide enough). To see the

17mm angle go back to almost 28mm because of the crop factor will

irk me.

I may just try to find a used MarkIID and forget about the 20D if

they present the 1.6x crop factor, which is what most rumors are

pointing to.

Any other landscape photographers feel this way??

Hi Gary, When I bought my 10D, I kept my 1VHS. So if and when I anticipate needing a wide shot, I'll still shoot film with my 17-40mm. I know, it's a less than perfect solution, but I can't justify buying a 1Ds. On the other hand, that crop factor comes in handy with my 500mm plus 1.4x TC. Best wishes . . .

Still struggling with this very question. But the biggest problem is that there's no single intermediate lens between my new 75-300 and the 17-40.

God only knows why.

I don't intend to carry three lenses if I can help it.

C'mon Canon. Get with the program.

Large sensors are still costly to produce. If Canon somehow produces a successor to the 10D but with a larger "1.3x" sensor, all of you will not be happy with the price tag.

This is one issue I still disagree with my friend Bob Atkins: IMO this cost issue for larger sensors will not change in any significant way for the next several years and perhaps much longer. Therefore, you either prepare to pay a lot of money for a large-sensor DSLR or get used to the fact that affordable DSLRs will have a small sensor. Personally, I get around the problem with a 12-24mm lens.

It sounds to me like you would not be happy with the 10D or any other 1.6x crop factor camera. I suggest saving yourself a lot of stress and either buy a 1:1 camera ( I don't think 1.3x would make you happy either ) or stick to film for the foreseeable future. Unless you need something else in your life to complain about that is.

It took me about a month to get over the crop factor and have now learned how to use it to my advantage. I now take different types of pictures than I did with film and focus on wide angle a lot less. I will probably not own a 1:1 digital camera when the 1.6x cameras have all of the same features that I regularly use. I would not pay extra for a 1.3x crop factor compared to a 1.6x, but I will be paying more for resolution, speed, and durability.

From my source (have no idea how good it is ? the source) 20D will have 1.6 crop factor, 8MP (must be a new sensor or?) and will come to retail stores with price tag of $1600 as a kit with one of those digital S lens. His store already has that info in computer for incoming inventory. We will know soon how good this info is :). Best regards, Mark

I don't disagree with Shun. I think the 1.6x sensors will be with us for quite a few years - and I'm SURE the successor to the 10D will be a 1.6x sensor. Eventually my guess is that 1.3x, maybe even 1x sensors will be avialable in cameras costing under $2000, but that day is probably several years away.

Since I'm much more of a wildlife photographer than a landscape photographer, I don't feel the loss of really wide angle lenses too badly and I actually like the effect on telephoto lenses. If I had a 1.3x or full frame sensor, I'd still be using my 500mm lens, I'd just be cropping the images more!

I think it's pretty likely Canon will bring out an EFS zoom that goes down to 10 or 12mm (16 or 19mm full frame equivalent). Of course it won't be an "L" series lens, but some of us can live with that!

For now I shoot with a fisheye and digitally correct if I want a really wideangle shot. Gives me something like the field of view of a 20mm lens on 35mm, though the digital correction does "stretch" the image a bit and so there's some quality loss at the edges.

For a year I thought Canon would have no choice but to introduce something similar to Nikon's 12-24mm DX to solve the wide-angle issue with small-sensor DSLRs or Sigma would take over that market sector for Canon users. This new 10-22mm EF-S should solve any remaining concerns. Moreover, the small DSLR sensor is here to stay for years to come and in fact is already the mainstream. Full-frame DSLRs are specality items for high-end users who can afford something over $4500.

You can find announcements of the three new lenses on Canon websites. As far as I can

discern, they will ONLY fit small-sensor DSLRs from the Digital Rebel forwards (i.e., the

20D and the DR), and will not work with film cameras or the 10D, 1Ds, 1D Mk. II, D60, etc.

Hope I'm wrong because I would love to have a 10-22 mm that would work with my Mk. II.

Lenses: 10-22 mm, 17-85 mm IS, 18-55 mm

URL: http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20040819_efs_lenses.html