Going to Egypt in Dec - advice on filters, lens, tripod, film speed

christina_lee1

Hi,

I will be traveling to Egypt from mid-December to early January. I

plan to bring my UV filter, circular polarizer, and 0.6 ND grad

filters, but I have no idea if I should bring any color enhancers or

color grad filters. Also, film speed: I like to use ISO 200 but is it

recommended that I bring along some ISO 800 (or higher) as well? And

is bringing a tripod recommended? Should I invest in a monopod?

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated!

Christina

<p style="margin-bottom: -5px">I was in Egypt in December a few years back. At the time, Cairo/Giza skies were hazy. Not sure if it was from smog or from dust coming off the desert, maybe both. It made for poor daytime landscapes but fantastic sunrise/sunsets. The further south you head (I'm assuming you'll do a Nile tour), the clearer the skies got. </p>

<p style="margin-bottom: -5px">I would definitely recommend the polarizer and ND grad filters. I'm not partial to enhancers or colorized grad filters, but the latter might be useful to pump up any lifeless, hazy skies.</p>

<p style="margin-bottom: -5px">As for the tripod, I wouldn't bother. Officially, you can't bring them in to the sites (but a little baksheesh will go a long ways...), and they are a hassle with people around. At places like the Pyramids, you'd be fine, but then you have to deal with sand. I left mine at home and brought a small towel to prop up the camera for night shots. Worked great. High-speed film, yes, for inside temples, burial chambers, museums and such. If you want to see how my shots came out:</p>

<b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net Terms of Use.</b>

Thanks for your comments Bruce! Your pictures of Egypt are amazing - if you don't use enhancing filters or color grads, how did you color photos come out so saturated? Do you have any recommendations as to what color film to use (brand)?

Looking at your black and white photos, you have me considering bringing a second camera that is dedicated to b+w photography. Do you have any suggestions as to what film to use? (I've used Ilford ISO 400 before.) Also, since I haven't had too much practice with b+w photography, do you have any suggestions for essential filters I should for b+w photography?

Lastly, how wide of a lens did you use for the "Dawn #9, Cairo, 1999" photo? I've been thinking about investing some money in a wide angle lens, but I have no idea how wide I should go.

Thanks again for your input,

Christina

Hi Cristina,

<p style="margin-bottom: -5px">Thank you very much for the nice comments. Glad I could help. Regarding what I used in terms of lenses, equipment, film, etc., click on the 'Info' button to the right of any photo and a pop-up will show you the details. I was shooting 35 mm at the time and was a fan of Kodak Gold 100, so most the color shots were with this. It's fairly saturated on its own. I also shot a bunch of Vevia 50, but for whatever reason, I didn't end up liking to many of these, so few are posted. If I were to return, I would bring an assortment of Portra 400UC and 160VC for color print, Velvia 100F for slide. For B/W, Fuji's sublime Acros 100. But, I'd also bring a bunch of Kodak's BW400, their T400CN replacement, for handheld work.</p>

<p style="margin-bottom: -5px">The lens on "Dawn #9, Cairo, 1999" was a 15 mm fisheye. It's a specialty lens, of course, so definitely something I wouldn't bring if I were looking to lighten the load. But I would suggest something in the 24-32 mm range. </p>

<p style="margin-bottom: -5px">That said, I highly recommend that you only bring what you are already familiar with and like. You are around a month away from the trip and unless you're willing to do some experimentation now, go with with what you know. I go on each trip with a "once-in-a-lifetime" mentatility (and hope it's not), so I don't introduce any new variables. This lets you focus on the things you can't know ahead of time such as lighting and composition, instead of on equipment and film. And, bring only what you will absolutely need. The experience is far more important than the photos, IMO, and I'd much rather come home with fewer images than fewer memories.</p>

<p style="margin-bottom: -5px">My $0.02.</p>

<p>Regards, Bruce</p>

<p style="margin-top: -20px"><a href="http://www.brucegcollier.com"><b>www.brucegcollier.com</b></a></p>

• 2 weeks later...

Christina,

I just returned from Egypt. I would definitely bring a UV filter and circular polarizer. I brought ND grad filters but did not find them necessary. I found the polarizer more than adequate to increase color saturation, but it's up to your personal preference as to whether you wish to further alter the colors by using color grad filters.

While it is a good idea to stick with film that you're familiar with, I would recommend shooting with 100 speed film for outdoor shots. Egypt is so picturesque that you'll almost certainly want to make enlargements of your pictures. In that case, a slower film will provide better results. I shot print film in Egypt - primarily Fuji Reala 100. It produces gorgeous prints on a Fuji Frontier. As it is sunny almost every day, you can shoot 100 speed film hand-held without any problems if you decide not to bring a tripod.

I would definitely bring 800 speed film for interior shots and for hand-held shots in low light. I shot Fuji NPZ 800 (rated at 640). You might be able to get away with 400 speed film, but I brought 800 speed film to ensure I could shoot at smaller apertures if necessary.

If you would prefer to travel light, I would agree with Greg that you can probably do without a tripod. You will find that a tripod is impractical at many sites (if not prohibited at some). Additionally, if you're traveling with a group tour, you may not have time to set up a tripod for each shot. That being said, I brought one and used it, but primarily to take shots of me and my wife in front of the monuments and to take shots at dawn and dusk. Also be aware that sites that allow tripods will usually require you to buy a permit for about $3 USD.

After reviewing Bruce's excellent black and white photos before my trip, I brought along a separate camera for black and white. I don't regret it, but it was HEAVY lugging all that equipment around (I shoot medium format). Again, it depends on how light you want to travel.

Enjoy your trip. Egypt is an amazing place.

Warren