Serious highlight banding with Super Coolscan 8000

I recently started using a friend's Super Coolscan 8000 for color and monochrome

negative scanning. So far the color negatives have been great, but the B&W scans are

TERRIBLE. The bands in the highlights are so consistent and so big that they can be seen in

the Photoshop thumbnail preview! Are there any settings that I could try turning on or off

to correct this? I have tried running test negatives with every option in place (ICE, LCH,

Curves, Unsharp Mask, etc.) and then with none of them selected and it doesn't seem to

make a difference. My previous experience with Nikon film scanners taught me that they

sometimes band in the shadows. Now it's in the brightest parts. Suggestions? I've included

a sample detail of these B&W images. The jpeg crop is about 1/3 the length of the total

negative in the horizontal dimension and 2/3 in the vertical dimension. Thanks.

I assume you know that you cannot use Digital ICE with B&W negatives. The silver image is opaque to infra-red used by ICE, and it's use would exacerbate grain and any banding.

Banding tends to occur in dense areas of the film, which would be the lighter areas in prints from negatives. I have never had it occur, but Nikon recommends changing to the single-line scan mode. Banding appears as fine, traverse lines, and occurs only in certain images with high contrast.

If it occurs in all images, it may be due to dust in the optics. Dust on the sensor may be fairly sharply defined. Dust on the mirrors appears as broad bands, parallel to the film edge.

That's not the infamous banding issue I'm familiar with which requires superfine scan mode. If that's the full neg the banding is too large and it's running in the wrong direction.

Make sure ICE is off, and hope there's no dust in the optics. Also maybe try resecuring the connection but I'm not sure that'd be the problem.