20D Lock Up Problem

corey_ross

Just before I got my 20D I was warned by that the camera locks up.

What I mean by this is one minute you using the camera the next it

will just freeze or just swicth off. I read this info on DP forum

and it happend to me big time. The camea seems to be fine when it's

working but you just don't know when this is going to happen. I also

read that the way round it is to take out the batt's and put them

back in, this worked for a while but then it locked up for about

5min. When I got home that night I went back on the forum and a

photographer was informed it's to do with the new batt's that come

with the camera. He put the 10D batt's in and no problem so far. I

am yet to try that, you can also put double AA batt's if you have

the grip.

If anyone else has a 20D and has the same problem and has found the

answers, please post on forum.

Thank you in advance and God bless you all

COREY

I've a feeling this issue will run for some time before there is a proper solution. The apparently varied circumstances under which lockup occurs provide no obvious pointers as to the cause, though many speculations. Hopefully it can be resolved by a firmware update. It'll be a mess if in camera components have to be replaced (there must be many 10s if not 100s of thousands that have already left the assembly line). Meantime, at least register your problem with your nearest Canon repair centre, even if you don't send the camera in at this stage.

It would be interesting to know if people have experienced these lockups with another battery than the one that came with the camera.

I ask because I've had strange behavior (slow and rubbery shutter, Error messages and lockups) with my 10D when a battery gets old.

Could hopefully be a batch of bad batteries.

Pierre

I always debate whether to be among the first to buy with digital products. On the one

hand, it's good to see how well the product performs and to give the manufacturer time to

correct any bugs. On the other hand, the product cycle is so short (in this instance about

18 months according to a Canon representative I spoke with) it makes sense to buy as

early in the cycle as possible. It's like buying ice on a hot street corner.

When I shot film I though $2000 camera bodies were expensive. In contrast to digital they

were cheap. They were current for around five years and even after that were not dated

for some time.

In one sense the pace of progress with digital products is wonderful as the advances are

significant. But my wallet is not too happy. The camera I really want is a Mark II but how

can I justify that as an amateur. I think the perfect combination for me would be a Mark II

and a Pro I when I want to travel light.

Since Canon NEVER acknowledges a problem with its products until they are forced to, I fear they will continue to deny any problems with the 20D until sales show a marked slowdown. With so many early adopters willing to buy right now and dealers with backorders already, there probably won't be a fix for at least a couple of months. They'll be sure to fix it by then for fear of losing holiday sales, but that won't be much solace for all the first-run buyers who have had to put up with being beta-testers. Back when camera bodies had production runs of 7-10 years and only pros and advanced amateurs were willing to put up with the vagaries of using an SLR, most photogs waited until a body was out at least a year before moving up or the new body was relegated to backup use until it proved itself. With digital, we're seeing the same mentality that drives people to upgrade their PCs every 6 months permeating the mindset of users and marketing of digital cameras. Personally, I don't see this as a good thing since we are at the point where an affordable camera like the 10D is beyond the ability or needs of most of the people that have bought them. Like computers, there are "bragging rights" that come with having the latest and greatest new chunk of technology and our society has turned from one of functionality to one of conspicuous consumption. We don't need it, can't use it properly, don't have the time to figure it out or RTFM, but it will sure make the neighbor or guys at work envious. As the product life of digital cameras gets shorter and shorter, fewer and fewer people will continue the maddening pace of trying to keep up. About the only good thing about that is we may see a glut of really good cameras and lenses in the used market driving down the cost for those of us who don't have a knee-jerk reaction to every incremental upgrade that comes along.

Rick A. Diaz

www.mcjournalist.com

I'm sure the best tactic is to call your nearest Canon service centre, and give them as much information as you can. Register your camera even if you decide not to send it in at this point, so you will be early in line should a hardware fix be required. The more owners they hear from, the sooner they'll prioritise and reach a solution, to the benefit of all.

"register the problem"?

I have never, EVER heard of that as a step in any repair process. What makes you think that will expedite service? What makes anyone think "registering the problem" would not be treated as a standard customer feedback? Or anonomous complaint? or just simply ignored?

This is not a troll response: You guys are just alluding to something I never heard of doing. It sounds akin to sending in the registration card for a product. . . .

As for lockups: I have read there is a high correlation to swapping CF cards and/or lenses with the camera "off". Some speculate that the camera is not ever fully "off". Pulling and replacing the battery appears to be the only way to fully turn the camera "off".

What do you guys experience?

I've had this problem as well. The camera will display "Err 99" in the top LCD. The manual helpfully describes this error code as "An error other than the above has occurred." I agree that the camera is never really off. The LCD still displayed the error code even after I turned the on/off switch to the off position. Removing and replacing the battery seemed to clear it.

I didn't always get the Err 99, sometimes the camera just locked up without displaying an error. I've only had it a week, if I see this problem again this weekend I may return it.

I just purchased the 20D and the Grip and am a Pro Photographer of over 20 yeras. I sent a

letter to the head of Canon France in the hopes of getting a response this week in regards

to the "Lock Up" problems. If I have anymorre info, I'll post it. I have an important photo

shoot next week and unfortunately sold my 10D. I haven't used the camera sufficiently

and under rigorous conditions to see if the problem exists, but with these posts, I am

really concerned. I am shooting an eight page fashion editorial and don't want the camera

to die in the midst of the shoot.

Benjamin KANAREK

http://www.virginiaberthy.com

http://www.slave-unit.com