Camera shops in Boston

jbass

<A href="http://huntsphotoandvideo.com/">Hunt's</a> is a pretty cool camera shop. It is really large. I haven't been there in a while and I have only been to the main store in Melrose which is kind of out of the way(About 20 or 30 min. outside of Boston). They do have a store in Cambridge(Right across the river) which might be worth checking out. If you take the T(public transportation which is very good in Boston) then the area at the Downtown Crossing stop(about 5-10 min. walk from the state capitol bldg) has a bunch of little camera shops. There are one or two cool ones, but most of them are just over priced. <BR>

Try Bromfield Camera Co(10 Bromfield St) they were really easy to haggle with after telling them that I found a similar lense in the camera store a couple storefronts down and I wasn't sure which one I would get.

<BR>

BTW are you planning to buy or just browse, do you have something in mind.

Hunt's is a great place to pay way too much money! I used to live next to the Melrose store and would wonder in at least once a week to wince at their prices. The best shop in town, imho, is EP Levine on Drydock Ave on the waterfront. Look them up at www.cameras.com. Calumet is also very good and well stocked. They are located in Cambridge next to the Galleria.

<p>Enjoy your visit to the best little big city on earth!

<p>Sean

<br><a href="http://www.stnphotography.com">www.stnphotography.com</a>

Boston is sadly lacking for good cmaera stores, Hunts is in Melrose and reminds me of walking into an old Soviet Union timewarp lots of crappy old stuff hanging from shelves. EP Levine os a Pro level shop and they have lots of used gear priced higher than any other place in the US who kows why. They do have a decent rental department they are a short cab ride to Drydock....it's a sorry situation here. Calumet well now don't get me started....

I was a resident of the Boston area for many years and believe me it isn't a camera town. I would never recommend any large purchases from any store in the area because their prices simply aren't competitive with B&H or Adorama.

Having said all that if you were going to by darkroom stuff like paper and chemicals I would recommend the new Kenmore square location. Why? Because it is located right across the street from the New England School of Photgraphy which means that they turn over their paper, film, and chemistry aggresively which means that their inventory should not be reasonably fresh (i.e. paper isn't fogged, chemistry is still active, etc.). Other than that the best thing I can say about Hunt's is that they do a lousy job of managing their film inventory which often results in specials on film. Often the consumer junk, but you can get a good deal on HP5+ or Tri-X every once in a while.

It's also one of the few places where you can buy Agfa chemicals and paper in the Boston area.

As for Zeff and Newtonville don't bother - WAY overpriced and their staff wouldn't know a safelight from a cable release.

If you find yourself around Downtown crossing you might be able to find a decent deal on an old Nikkor, Takumar, or Canon FD lens at the couple of shops that are on one of the sidestreets off of Washington and Trement. Wish I could remember the name of the street.

If you are around Harvard square - Hunt's has a branch (used to be called SBI Photo) hidden away next to the "The Garage" mall near the corner of Brattle Street. At the very least the staff is fairly knowledgable and entertaining. And again, they carry AGFA. Stay away from Ferranti-Dege on Mass. Ave.

But the best store in the area is definitely Calument Photo by the Cambridge Side Galleria (Lechmere MBTA stop). Decent selection and relatively good prices.