Leica R5 reliability

luisarguelles

Hi all. In these days I'm very atracted to the R system, and would

like to know if there are known problems of reliability with the R5

camera (the version made in Germany). I have heard horror stories with

the R4, but I have not found nothing in the archives with respect to

the R5. Yes, I know that the R7 has better electronics, but my budget

is centered on the R5. Thanks for your comments.

I live in a very humid climate.

My R5's window seal simply dissolved after about 6 years.

When I sent it in for CLA earlier this year it had to go back to Germany and they had the whole shutter replaced. BUT please read the following:

I had not used the camera for years, probably 3 years, and before that it was scantily used. So the shutter could be defective due to non-use in a humid climate. Also, my local distributor told me that Leica Germany is really strapped for cash and every time things go back to Germany they ask you to replace some expensive parts. So it is really not known whether the shutter replacement is necessary. Also bear in mind that all their R5 shutters are now obsolete stock so they may want to grab every chance to sell it.

Hope this helps.

I used a brace of R4sp's professionally for a number of years. Spent a lot of time in desert conditions but very little "arctic". I can't recall a single time when they or the R-winders let me down.. I ran hundreds of rolls through them. Six to ten per day per camera was the norm when I was actively shooting. Unfortunately they were stolen some years ago. I do miss them even though I replaced them with M series cameras and lenses.

Hi Luis,

Indeed, the R7 has better electronics and is quite sturdy, I have one.

Any R5 would do as well.

For the difference of price between the R5 and R7, you will find that the manual mode of the R7 is easier to use, you read directly the + or - ev in the screen.

So far, I have heard that when buying R4, better take the R4s or later. FWIW.