emily_born

Hi All -

Does anyone have any recommendations for a faster point and shoot

digital camera?

My current is a Nikon Coolpix 2500 and it takes about 6 secs to start

up and 2 secs to take the pic with a flash - waaaaaaaaaaay to slow

for me. I do like the small size and that it has a zoom, so those are

two points I would like to keep.

Is it possible to get something with good quality that is faster?

Thanks, Emily

Unfortunately the two things you mentioned are the limitations of a compact, point and shoot digital camera. You might be able to find some with a faster start-up time, but youre probably not going to see dramatic differences with speed unless you moved up to a DSLR (but then you lose the small size). Im sure most of latest p&s cameras offered by the major companies will outperform your Nikon Coolpix 2500, which is pretty outdated now.

You can get the Ricoh GX in the US via an ebay seller, I believe out of vermont. If you check it out on ebay you'll find them. About $399.00 and includes the 1 year manufacture warranty. The seller claims to be able to service the warranty without having to send the camera back to Japan. I've had mine since May when they were released and got it through different gray market channels, at about $100.00 more. Anyway the GX is available, just not through the local Ritz, or B&H / adorama etc. They won't be distributed officially in North America by Ricoh. Go figure.

The GX is ready to shoot in about 1 sec from pushing the on button, and boots up to whatever settings it was at when you turned it off. Very convenient, and DSLR-like minimal shutter lag. Nice 5 meg image quality, and manual options. Super macro camera also, focusses down to 1cm. 28mm- 85mm focal lengths. sharp lens. Ya da ya da.