Description of luster paper surface

Can someone describe the surface characteristics of Epson Premium Luster paper (or

equivalent) in non-technical language? i.e. how images printed on it look and feel.

I've heard people raving about it for use with the Epson 2200. How does luster differ

from enhanced matte and/or premium semi-glossy. What is sort of image (or commercial

purpose) is best suited for luster paper?

I am about to purchase an Epson 2200 for printing archival fine art photography (both

b&w and color), and would like to experiment with the paper types best suited for that

purpose. I've read that I should stay away from premium glossy, but semi-gloss is ok.

Comments?

Sorry for posting such an incredibly simple topic, but I don't have any sample of luster

paper.

Thanks all.

I use both the Luster and Semi-Gloss papers on my 2200, and I actually prefer the Semi-gloss. The Luster is a textured glossy - like what you'd receive at a photo lab (similar to the Fuji Crystal Archive Luster). The semi-gloss has a duller shine, and tighter texture -- more like a frosted glass. I think you should try both; the Semi-gloss is much more expensive than Luster, so you might try the Luster first.

>>The texture of Luster is pretty much the same as Premium semi-gloss.<<

Don't know where you buy yours, but my versions are definitely more the way Chris described it. Premium Luster is pebbled texture and shiny, SG is more satin with a tighter pebble texture.

OTOH, Ilford smooth pearl has a tighter pebble texture than Epson P-Luster, is about the same gloss as Epson's P-Semi-gloss but has more open texture -- net, net the Ilford is about half-way between the two Epsons.

My favorite remains Epson Premium Glossy.