Nikon 75-150 E f:3.5

boschetto

I've read good things about 75-150 E, so i've decided to buy one.

I know there are two versions: the earlier version has a lens

fastening ring in black plastic while later version has a metal

lens mounting ring.

I've found a lot of informations about this nice zoom, but nothing

that concerns the differences between the two versions.

It's only an aestetical difference or the latest is better?

Thanks and sorry for my so so english.

"the earlier version has a lens fastening ring in black plastic while later version has a metal lens mounting ring."

Nicola, I have no idea about what you are referring to. I own two samples. One with a prong for the older F bodies and the other without it. Both are AIS lenses and both are metal. No plastic whatsoever. It is a terrific lens.

Vivek.

You are correct that there are two versions of this lens. The earlier one has a black plastic mounting ring while the later ones have a chrome ring that is more similar to a traditional Nikkor lens. The two verisons share a common optical formula. All else being equal, I'd opt for the latter chrome ring version. But I would not pay much more for it.

<I>...two samples. One with a prong for the older F bodies and the other without it.</I><P>

If you have a series E 75-150mm f/3.5 zoom with a prong, it was modified after purchase. All series E lenses came without the prong, and were intially seen as a low cost alternative to true Nikkors for use with the new EM and FG class consumer bodies.<P>

There were two 75-150mm designs, the initial economical typical series E style, and later modified with a more traditional Nikon look by adding a chrome ring for mounting and removing the lens. In at least one book I have, <B>Moose Peterson's Nikon System Handbook</B>, he states that the first version was not as mechanically strong as the last version with the ring, although I can't say if that is a known thruth or just an assumption.<P>

I have a 20 year old 75-150mm zoom that I bought new for about 100 Dollars. It is the chrome ring version, and it is mechanically fine to this day. The focus and aperture actions are smooth and precise, while the zoom action is loose, a common thing, but not a show stopper. The images that this lens still produces to this day makes it one of the best 100 Dollars I have ever spent in photography. I could not say that the first version would be any less operational after all of these years, but my lens feels and performs just like a Nikkor.

Alright, I have both of them: #180774 and #3001022.

The earlier numbered sample is the one without the prong. Black aperture indicator ring (with the dot to indicate the aperture) which is fixed. The later one has a chrome ring with the dot to indicate the aperture.

On both the lenses: the movable aperture ring (with all the numbers) is plastic. The rear group of elements are housed in a plastic barrel. The zoom and the overall lens barrel are metal. Mount is metal. Optically, both are the same. I matrix chipped one of them so, i had to take them apart to to do this. Yes, the zoom, focus is quite loose but does not creep. Both perform equally good. Mechanically there is NO difference at all.

The prong appears to be a factory job. If it had been done later, I can not tell.

Vivek.

I bought a used mint condition 75-150 for $215 around 12 years ago and I thought I got a

very good deal, although the price at the time was at the top of the range for the lens.

The lens is so good I eventually sold my little-used 105 2.5 lens.

The 75-150 is small, light, very sharp and is only marginally slower than an 80-200 2.8,

which is relatively big and heavy. I rarely use my 80-200 because of its size. A standard

Nikon 52mm filter size makes the 75-150 a nice companion to most other manual focus

Nikon lenses with identical filter sizes.

I would go with the metal ring version of the 75-150, and don't forget to buy an HN-21

lens hood!

Vivek, i think Albert is right. I've never seen a 75-150 E with a

prong, probably it's a modified one.

However you all confirm the very good reputation of this gem.

I've found two samples in some advertisements: one with a

black plastic ring at 120 euro and the other with a metal ring at

150 euro (!). Either in very good conditions (at least by the photos

i've received).

I don't know...I like the aluminium ring version better with its

nikkor look but, in this case, i think it's a little dear.

Moreover, the black ring version's seller will comes in my town

next week so i'll can check for it.

This moment i think to buy the black ring one If in really good

conditions (hope to make the right choice).

Regards,

Nicola

Nicola,

The thing to look for would be scratches and dust. There is always some dust that gets in to the front group of elements because of the zoom construction. Will not bother any images. But pricewise, a factor.

The rear mount, filter threads should look "new". If otherwise, bring down well below 100 euros. These lenses are really worth a lot more based on their sharpness and construction compared to some of modern Nikon lenses. Good luck and enjoy!

Vivek.

Vivek,

thank you. I'll check for scracthes and dust too.

It seems to be a good one as you can see below,

this is from the seller.

I hope it's a sample without too much zoom creep problem!

Have you never seen any differences in flare and ghost between

black ring and aluminiun ring model?

G.V., here you can find a discussion about the best lens hood

for 75-150 E:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0078n

K

Nicola,

It is only a cosmetic difference. The lens elements are the same.

After the few posts here in the last few weeks about the lens, I dug out my sample of the lens, stuck it on, just now, to my D100. I ignored the "F--" error message, adjusted manual exposure, and shot the following, using the manual focus indicator in the D100, at 150mm, and minimum focusing distance.

Here is the whole shot, reduced.

And the next post will be of a section, actual pixels on your screen...

Nph and Reala, two of my favorit color films!

Did you ever used NPZ 800? I would give it a chance.

The shot looks very sharp on my monitor and have nice

out of focus areas.

You should have your 75-150 chipped for an easy to use on

D100 ;-)!

I'm looking forward to get mine, next week.

Thank you Mani,

Nicola