Suggested filter use with a 4x5

mister_quinn

I wouldn't consider the Cokin A system; it isn't large enough to allow for movements (IMO.) I use Cokin P filters on my 4x5 and haven't had any problems. I've also used (and continue to use) a rubber hood on occasion, but most of the time I just use the dark slide to shade the lens if the sun is on it.

The cokin snap on hoods are stackable but aren't made for any particular lens so you may

cover too much or not enough area and there still isn't anything in between the hood and

the filter so flare can still be an issue. I use what's called a french flag instead. Its a small

sheet of matte plastic attached to a flexible arm that can be clamped to the camera. You

simply cast a shadow on the lens with it and then check under the cloth to make sure it's

out of frame. This is more precise and keeps additional accessories off the lens.

flarebuster.com sells something similar to my homeade version but without clamp.

the 1/4" mount they provide can be bolted onto a 1" "pony" clamp or A clamp.

Vinny has a great suggestion. It is possible to purchase a "double clamp" - looks like two rather hefty office binder clips that are joined together with a piece of wire - the binder clips swivel on the wire, such that it's possible to orient them in an almost infinite number of ways. Use one clip to attach to the camera, and the other attaches to the "french flag".

The flag itself can be cardboard (another use for the gray card in your camera bag), or in my case, I use a piece of dark gray foam about 3/8" thick. The foam came as packing material with some computer equipment - its flexible, and yet rigid enough to not be very "floppy". When it's not being used to shield the lens, it stays in the bag as protection for the ground glass.

I use the Xenophon 3 inch Gel Holder with Spring available from Calumet.

gelatin filters are rear mounted (less flare) instead in the front. It works with all

my glass from 90mm to 300mm except my 47mm. The short focal distance from

this lens tends to pick up or "see" the slightest amount of dirt or dust on the

filter. For the front (grads or polarizers) I use the Lee/Calumet 4x5" slide in filter

system.

The Lee system (www.leefiltersusa.com) with filters, filter holders, adaptors and regular and wide angle hoods is a great system.

Their regular hood will shade everything from sorta wide to sorta long extremely well, is self supporting and is just plain handy to work with. They have a wide angle hood too. I haven't purchased it since the regular hood works so well for me.

Check out Calumet ( www.calumetphoto.com ) and

B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) and Teamwork (www.teamworkphoto.co.uk)for Lee Hoods and filters.

I believe you will need a 40.5 to 49 step up to connect to what I think is the smallest adaptor they have, 49mm, but small step ups are practically free.

Other systems are probably cheaper, but the Lee hoods are so user friendly that I use them more often than I would a clumsier system. I would buy the Lee hood system again in a second.

Best,

C