What gear should I bring ?

WM

Just wondering what you will bring, if you were in my shoes. It's

just hard to decide what to take/not to take, seriously.

I'll be going for my sister's wedding about 9000km away (in a

tropical island where the humidity is 90% and temp is about 33C/91F

all year), and I am (would you believe that ?) the designated

candid/reportage shooter, and also the one for taking some group

shots of guests, tea-ceremony (chinese wedding), etc, but no

formals. My question is what would you bring and why/why-not ?

Gear list to choose from: EOS 10d, 300d, Sigma 24/1.8, Canon 50/1.4,

16-35/2.8, 70-200 IS, 550ex, 420ex, 3Gb of memory, Leica M6 with

50/2 Summicron-M.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I am not an experienced wedding

shooter. Thanks !<div>00A86x-20476184.jpg.6fab211305725b7b153ba642df92fb8d.jpg</div>

Hi Wee-Ming,

Congratulations on your sister's wedding! From my experiences, alot can be done with two lenses (and I'm not even using zooms). If I had to pick two focal lengths to capture a wedding, it'd be 35mm and 100mm. If I had to pick only one, it'd easily be the 50/1.4 for sheer versatility and low light capabilities. My own setup includes two Canon FD cameras, 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 100/2.8.

It depends on the kind of look that you favor in approaching candid or reportage type photos. I tend not to favor the 24 or wider focal length looks, since I want my photos to look more or less "normal". So my advice for you would be to figure out which look you want to go for, and which equipment gets you there the best.

For my style of shooting, and the emphasis on available light that I look for, I'd take the 10D, 16-35/2.8, 70-200IS, and the M6 with 50/2 with black and white film (XP2 at 200 is phenomenal). The 16-35 on a 10D will cover the "wide to normal", the 70-200 will allow you to get in tight. Since you only have two lenses, you won't have to do too many switches since you can project which will fit best for any given moment. The M6 50/2 just because its not electronic, is quiet, and I personally love black and white film. Plus its small and light. Overall, I think this gives you a a pretty small but effective and versatile package. The most important thing though is to have fun and enjoy the wedding...it will come through in your photos. Best wishes!<div>00A87h-20476384.jpg.cbe85482adb61953c2c4035709c95310.jpg</div>

I'd definitly take the Leica and 50mm. Load it up with B&W and shoot away. The other stuff comes down to location. If you are shooting late afternoon/night you will probably want the 50/1.4, otherwise the 2.8 zooms would do. Same with flash.

If it was me shooting candids, i'd take the Leica kit, and the 10d with 24mm and 50 mm + flash a memory. Reasonably light - you can bring it all on the plane with you, and easily carried.

The 70-200 is too heavy, and not a focal length I use often. The 16-35 might be a bit slow, depending on what you are doing.

Definitely the Leica and plenty of silica gels. 400 ISO films in Slides and B&W. If you can get a second body and a long lens (90mm or 135mm) It'll be better.

Oh yeah, and a p&s small digicams for macrophotography of detail shot of the hair, glass, cake, etc.<div>00A8HF-20479684.jpg.5c61d27fce30c52c86549daf2f053c78.jpg</div>

I just want to emphasize the importance of what one person mentioned quickly, and that is "silica gels." In that heat and humidity, your equipment can succumb to fungus growth pretty quickly. Be sure to keep dessicant in your camera bag, lens case, underwear, wherever. And be sure it's fresh, and not left over from a lens you bought a year ago. Have fun, keep your ammo dry!

If it were me, I'd ask your sister what kind of coverage she wants, the kind of wedding she's planning and with that information and knowledge of your own style, pick from there. When I photographed my niece's wedding in Hawaii, I didn't bring my Hasselblad system because she wanted a very simple coverage--not artsy, not even necessarily wedding journalism. It wasn't a church wedding--the whole thing itself was simple. Plus if it's family, you know how they would react to your photographing them. You may not need to use the 70-200mm to catch close-ups from afar, and if it isn't in a big church, you wouldn't need it for "from the back" shots, either.

Actually, it won't be a church wedding. In fact they are not even Christians, so basically there will only be some traditional tea-ceremonies-type thing in the morning, followed by the reception in the evening............for two days (one at the bride's family hometown, and one at the groom's hometown !)

That's is the only reason why I am thinking that I won't need the 70-200 monster, as on my 10d, it converts to a pretty long lens. Perhaps the 50/1.4 on the 10d is a good 80mm equivalent, and should be long enough for most things. How does that sound ?

sounds to me like is better to be prepared than sorry.

depends on your style of photography.Althoug this type of events are kind of inpredictable, so is the wheather,lighthing circunstances,and compromises.(I been there)

I would do this put the 16-35/2.8 on the 10D,this combo is going to cover like 80% of your event. then also have the Leica with some of beatiful Potra 400 and use it for candids.

then have someone elses carry your other lenses and flashes so if you need him to hand/wathch your 70-200 and your other low light lenses.Also so so he can hold the flash in diferent angles for you.

good luke

I normally work fast and I work quickly, so carrying loads of gear is not a good thing for me, so I am tempted to go M6+cron, and 10d + 16-35, and if light levels get low, out comes the 24/1.8 or 50/1.4.

I am starting to feel like the 70-200 is not going to get much use, since I don't have any church to shoot from the back anyway, so it might not really matter not having such a long range............?