More On the New Zeiss Rangefinder

film rules

Has anyone noticed that the "photos" of the new Zeiss rangefinder

really look like computer generated images? It looks to me like many

of the parts are adopted from other cameras. Examples are the

bayonet lock button and back door hinge from Cosina and the strap

lugs from Leica. Overall, it looks to me like a digital mock-up -

not an actual prototype.

Carl Zeiss (the company, not the person) has been releasing little tidbits of information for the past couple of weeks -- just teasers really -- about something new.<P>

<a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009VlB>See the previous discussion.</a><p>

The Zeiss site had a picture of the camera, which somebody found. But it appears that it's been deleted from their site.<P>

It appears to be a Zeiss-Ikon rangefinder, but there's ongoing speculation whether it's film, digital or both. It also appears to be based on a Cosina body, but with some major design changes.<P>

Zeiss promises to raise the curtain on Sept. 28 at photokina. It will be interested if the "mainstream" photography press takes notice, given the focus on digital.

Folks, zeiss is a <i>very</i> serious and even more conservative

stone-age old german company, the hoax theory does not suit their

entire corporate image and tradition. As for the mockup, it is common

to make mockups long before the actual product is finished for

photographing, and many times the mockup photos stay in use..

I could be wrong but didn't the first one or two quips shown with the photos on the Zeiss site question what lens was used to take this photo? Also the current view on their site says ...new innovation that you would never have expected...

I am beginning to think there may be no camera body involved. It sounds like a lens. Looking at the current 3 photos shown today one could start to wonder. A perspective control lens... or a 'fits any camera' lens...

On the other hand an unexpected innovation...a film/digital back...or a new medium format rangefinder? (oh, how I wish)

Regardless of the outcome I think it is totally cool for a starched shirt company like Zeiss to play this attention getting hype game.

Just my overvalued $.02 worth,

vic... :)

I would have thought it's just the lens system, but there were specific shots on the camera.

What would be a killer system now? a M-mount digital with a 18mmX36mm sensor. The digital X-pan. This eliminates the problems with light-falloff and oblique rays at the corners when using a wide-angle, and you still get the horizontal coverage. ie a VC 15mm will still give you 15mm angle of view.

The sensor would be cheaper because will be 33% smaller than a full-frame.

What would be really nice would be the ability to switch from 18x36 to 18x27 on the fly. This way, you can get a 1.3x sensor, ie the same size as a Canon one. I can plug in a 28 summicron and it will be just like the regular 35 summicron! This machine will be more useful than the R-D1 with its 1.5x sensor.

I like this idea more and more.