R3A and R2A

cbettis

In reading Gandy's site about the new CV bodies, it would seem that

the only difference between the two are the frames (25, 50, 75,90)

vs. (40, 50, 75, 90) and the .7 or 1.0 viewfinder. Assuming that one

did not need the 40 frameline, why would anyone opt for a .7 over

full frame? Am I missing something? (I usually am!)

I beleive its 35 not 25...ie (25, 50, 75,90) vs. (40, 50, 75, 90)

A 1.0 viewfinder is 1:1 perspective and produces what people call the floating frame cause it frames the same as you see.

My only question is, is there really that much difference between the 40 and 50mm perspective to jusitify it being on the same camera?

Since the minilux, I'm dreaming for the new 40mm in M-mount. For me, 40mm is right in between 35 and 50. I want to use 35 with M6 but can't see the frameline, so I use the 50 thus I can see "outside" the frameline (the goodie for RF, and a major reason to keep a RF, even you are mainly use a DSLR). With 1.0 viewfinder, 40mm is the logical choice, to feel the power of RF. I will still keep on dreaming for the "remount" 40mm from Leica. Before that, I will have CV.

"Assuming that one did not need the 40 frameline, why would anyone opt for a .7 over full frame? Am I missing something?"

The R3A with its 1.0X finder means that it has a larger effective baselength of 37mm than the R2A of approx 25mm. So the R3A will focus tele lenses more acurately. The sacrifice is that 35mm framelines wont fit in the viewfinder hence the use of 40mm instead. So if you need a larger EFB and dont mind the 40mm focal length then the R3A is the one to go for, if you use 35mm alot and dont mind slower telephoto lenses then the R2A is the model for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Alfred, Stephen Gandy reports on his website at cameraquest.com that the .7 viewfinder, full frame to the edge approximates 28mm. I have not yet seen a user review of the new Bessas. They are just beginning to get into consumer's hands, but keep your eyes peeled; reviews should start cropping up soon.

• 1 month later...