jonathon

I want to go buy a gel (or acetate) for my 550ex, but can't see how

to attach it. From reading other posts here, people just seem to buy

it as a sheet and cut it down. My 285HV has a slot across the front

to insert a gel into, but the 550ex doesn't have anything. How are

you attaching a gel to the 550ex?</p>

The problem I have is at a function under tungsten light my flash

makes the subjects look way too white and the rest of the frame

yellowish. I was thinking about a gold stofen, but how do these go?

Also any info on big brands of gels or specs of what to ask for to

get it closer to tungsten (I'm in Australia so it will be harder to

get) would be greatly appreciated.?</p>

Thanks in advance!

Don't know the answer to the attaching procedure, but if there is a filter for something/anything, <a href="http://www.rosco-ca.com/">Rosco International</a> probably makes it. Your camera shops are generally useless in this area however. I found a theatrical supply house in my area (New Jersey, USA) that had most of Rosco's acetates. Any industry that uses lighting of any sort for theatre, stage, movie production, would probably be better supplier than a camera shop for this type of thing.......in my experience.

As for attaching to the flash. Use Gaffers tape (NOT duct tape). It is kind of pricy, but leaves no residue. In Australia Lee filters are probably easier to come by. (Lee filters. is the company name look for it on the internet, Google is a good place to look....sorry I don't know how to post links here yet...I'm new). As a Lighting Designer for the past...oh wow, 20 years, I personally like Rosco better but over seas (AKA not in the U.S) Lee seems to dominate. On Lee's website they have a chart as to all their filters. The one in the U.S that you need is Lee probably "85B" (going from your 5500K flash temp to regular 3200K tungsten "household" lamps.

Keep us posted,

Shawn Hooper

Highland Creations

I use what they call 'paper tape'. It's a stronger version of masking tape, but wont leave a residue. Gels also come in different strengths, and from what I've read in your post, you might want to try the 1/4 CTO. I don't bother with a fancy way of adapting it, I just tape it on or stuff it inside my stofen. If you go new, it might be what I'd consider expensive, as these gels are always on the ground in every theatre and venue. I always advice students to look up lighting and FX supply/rental houses and just drop buy and politely ask the floor manager if they have any crap gels. Provided you live in a big enough city of course. They throw so much of this stuff away, and you might back with more than you wanted, ie, other flavours. Straw is another colour worth looking at in your description.

Rosco has a sample pack available on their website - these just happen to be just about the right size for a flash. Gaffers tape works, so does Scotch tape. I often have an omnibounce on my flash, and will just stick the gel inside. If you use gels a lot, Rosco has a color correction kit that has a full range of CTB, CTO, Green & Magenta for $35 - gels are 10x12", so you can cut off a little bit for your flash, and it's still big enough to fit over a standard 7" reflector on a studio strobe.