Linhof 8x Focusing Loupe

carsten_benni

Cari Amici,

I fell in love with the Linhof 8x Focusing Loupe. Quite ridicolously I never saw one in real

life, I saw it only via B&H website, but since I am a linhof fan it really hit me... Is there

somebody who purchesed it and uses it? Would somebody be so kind to write me

impressions? Is this the only Loupe signed Linhof? ( I think it is a Schneider one, isn't it?) I

checked the Linhof website and I did not found the 8x loupe. Do you know where I can buy

it in Europe?

what are you wanting it for? personally I'd prefer the Silvestri 6x focussing/tilting loupe

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=162584&is=REG

http://www.silvestricamera.com/

http://www.silvestricamera.com/eng/prodotti_eng/lupes_eng/lupes_eng.htm

Especially for use on an 8x10 GG I haven't found anything better

I will use for gg focusing on my Technika 5x7 and 4x5 and kardan e.

I use a 3,5 x and a 4x but I need something that magnifies more.

I know that Silvestri is very appreciate in USA, I am italian as Silvestri is, but they were very

unfriendly with me, I wrote them twice to ask where I can find in Italy the tilting loupe i

was reading about, and they answered me this way: I doubt that you can find it in Milan.

That's it. No more words, I complained, I wrote again asking why they do not sell it in

Milan and in Italy in general, no answer anymore. So I do not want to give a cent to them.

So Linhof!

I have a Linhof lupe 8x, but onestly you can find something better around. IMO 8x is a too much magnification, and I think 4 or 6x is ideal. Now I have a second hand 6x long barrel old Schneider lupe (it's similar to Toyo lupe) and this is by far better. Maybe you can find a Toyo lupe at Foto Import, via S. Rocco 6, Milan. If you want a Linhof lupe, try at Gruppo BP, via Tacito 6 , Milan, wich imports Linhof in Italy.

Another vote for the Silvestri, and I'm as much a Linhof fan as you are!

Even x6 is close to the limit, at these magnifications you are looking at the grain of the ground glass and the structure of the fresnel screen as much as at the image so in my opinion higher magnifications don't deliver any more focus accuracy.

I've tried the Silvestri and I didn't like the metal tilting contraption moving round my groundglass, and didn't really have much use for it, but then I wasn't using lenses wider than 240 for 8x10 or 110mm for 4x5. Most people who try this loupe seem to like it however, esp for 4x5. It may be the best compromise (see below).

I use a 7x Calumet loupe, which provides more than enough magnification, has a plastic housing where it meets the groundglass,is sharp, and is very light. The price is good too, at around $50 or so I think. However it has a narrow field of view. When I want a larger field of view I use a square 4x Peak, which I think cost me $40-50.

I agree with most others who feel that 8x is too much magnification. I use the 7x with a plain groundlass, however I've also used it with a fresnel, and while it did provide the needed magnification for very fine focusing, the fresnel pattern was annoying.

I do not find the 4x is the best magnification for fine focusing, as it's too hard to see the exact focus sometimes. The optimim is from around 5x to 6x, but I haven't found a loupe in the range that I like. This is getting really picky of course, as for most shot even a 4x or the 7x will get the got done (each with it's own disadvantages and advantages). The Silvestri at 6x w/o the tilting contraption is a viable option, but I just don't like a metal barrel hitting the groundglass. Yes, if you don't move it around, or if botht the loupe barrel and the groundglass are clean of sand, dust, etc. it's probably ok, but I'm not always that careful.

I have a 3,5x and a 4x and it is not such a magnification. I need something different. I

think that the Schneider 6x loupe is good choice, but expansive too. I liked the Linhof also

because of the peculiar 8x magnification. I do not need a "rubber" lens, because I am very

slow and I work in studio e I go outside very few times, so no dust and no sand...