Fresh model.

igord

Igor, your "lighting ratio" is right, don't bother. There are (lots of) members in this community who have a rather "traditional" stance, to say the least.

You are interested in fashion photography, Igor, and unless you're not constraining yourself to catalogue work, your "lighting ratio" has some mileage... good work, my friend!

Thanks Jaques, catalogue work especially here is something different, I do some things I wouldn't show on the forum. Anyway I like strong shadows and after photographing a few hundret models I want something different then "proper" ratios ;-) but I know that lot of people simply will not like it and I apreciate their attitudes.

Igor, I like your work. But you should do a mix of ratios - or allow for more light on the left side of her face. I'm NOT a fashion photographer, I'm in weddings and portraits right now, and I do know something of sales and selling myself to clients and I'm good freinds with a couple of art directors of major magazines (shooting for them is a whole other story!). The posing is good, excellent use of color, your models seem to respond well to you. But maybe you need to do both - closed lighting like you have in the sample link you provided, then open it up just a bit so your model - and potential fashion clients - can see that you are capable of both styles.

Of course, if you're doing it just for you, do what you'd like. If you're doing it to nail down shooting jobs in the fashion industry, show them you're capable of a wide variety of shooting styles and you can manipulate light for a number of different looks with the same model.

I viewed quite a few of your images. Good work. Some were very well executed and I think you've got a future if you are a working pro.

William, I just try to move my key light and see how skin responses. You can try to position your fill(s) on the floor - it helps. Nice thing is to put a piece of white background on the floor and aim a lamp into it so it reflects in the skin making a certain "layer" on the model's body.