michael_kuker

I'm looking for a EW-60C lens hood. B&H has 'em for $23.95 + s/h, but

there's a guy on eBay who is selling quite a few at $14.95 + s/h. How

can this be legit? Are these likely counterfeits or what? And if they

are, what are the perils of a counterfeit lens hood? I can understand

avoiding counterfeit lenses and bodies, but it seems like a lens hood

is pretty basic. Should I just buy one from B&H or another reputable

retailer? Thanks.

$15 bucks plus S&H would be a terrible thing to loose. Just use your money for lunch instead. :~0

I have no idea if this is legit or not, but for the price, why not take a little risk? B&H is quite competitive with many items. Especially high priced and much sought after items, but for a lot of this small stuff, they are not the low cost place to go. I've never heard of a counterfeit hood. Why make them? They're not worth that much. My bet is the ebay guy is still making money at $15. They can't cost more than $2 to make. Most ebay sellers with a decent feedback rating are reliable small parts dealers.

It would be interesting to see who has the lowest shipping. It just might be the low price seller.

The text on the hood, other than the "Canon" logo, is different from genuine Canon hoods, and another auction for the same type hood states: "lens hood <i>as</i> (EW-60C) for Canon EOS EF 18-55mm... ...This is in <i>equivalence</i> with Canon EW-60C".<p>There you have it, another (likely) Chinese bootleg item.<P>If it is really made to the same specs as Canon's, there may not be any problem initially. But, will it break easier than the real thing, or will the mounting flanges wear loose? Canon often changes/improves the black paint/flocking in their hoods; is the interior black finish of this other hood adequate?<p>I would fork over the extra $10 for the real thing. Let us know the results if you buy the Chinese one.

I got an EW-78B lens hood to fit the 28-135mm IS lens from ebay. It's definatly

a counterfeit, has a bunch of Chinese lettering around it, only the Canon logo

is in english. It also does not have the black flocking on the inside. Other than

that, it works great and was less than half the price of buying it somewhere

elseI say go for it!