Anyone familiar with, or living in, India?

jay_white_feather

In the next few months, my wife will be attending a 2-week long

seminar in India (Varanasi, Agra, Bodhgaya.) And, I am considering

accompanying her and using that time to photograph. Because I am

primarily a landscape / nature photographer, I am trying to

investigate what photo possibilities there might be in or around

these areas.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions or comments anyone

might have who has either traveled in or lived in these regions.

Many thanks. Jay

Jay,

I've spent about 5 months in Bodhgaya (2 different trips) and 6 weeks in Varanassi (2 different trips). Plus 1 day in Agra.

I find Bodhgaya amazing. The holiest site in Buddhism. During winter, it's packed with Tibetan pilgrams. It's also very foggy - you're pretty much restricted to shooting after about 11am due to the weather.

There's a guy named Dilip, who runs a small, cheap guesthouse called Baba Ashram (it's not an ashram in the traditional sense). He's a retired newspaper photographer, who's worked in Delhi, Bombay and Tokyo. I've seen his portfolio - it includes portraits of Indira Gandhi and a couple of famous cricketers (Indias national sport). He's fluent in English (worked for an English language paper), also Japanese. If he likes you, he's a very nice guy. If he doesn't like you, then he won't give you the time of day. Fortunately, he loves me, so if you go there, look him up, and tell him that I sent you - mention his VIP guest and he'll know who you're talking about. Also, take a bottle of whiskey (Scotch is best, Indian otherwise)with you - he loves a drink. He also loves Leicas.

Check my Kalachakra folder in my portfolio for a few shots of Bodhgaya - unfortunately, most of my Bodhgaya photo's are in storage at my mother's place in australia, and I haven't been in aust in 2 years. They are here.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=342104" >Bodhgaya</a>

Also, check out Anthony Irik's portfolio. <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=317532">AnthonyIrik</a>

If you want any more info on Bodhgaya, feel free to email me. I've got another Indian friend there who runs a school for handicapped kids, plus a couple of Thai friends who are monks living in the Thai monastery that's there.

In a word - go to India.

Cheers,

Craig

its a beautiful place, specially in winter, it becomes mystic. Take what ever you have and you will love it. Varanasi is a historic place with lots of sadhus ( holy men) temples and ancient history. Agra .. The Taj Mahal ... BodhGaya you have already read about it above.

cheers,

Ranjan.

I have visited India, though not the same locations as you (I spent about a month in Western India - Mumbai, Pune, Aurangabad). But it doesn't matter. India is an absolutely fascinating, cultural treasure. As others above have said, you must go on this trip. As a landscape photographer, there's no question that Agra will be worth your visit.

I'm primarily a nature photographer, too, but I found the people, cityscapes, markets, street scenes to be irresistable subjects. My trip to India was one of the most photographically productive, as well as personally enriching, experiences of my life.