Canadian residents who shop online..........

jay hayter

Where is the best place to buy? I'd like to order from the States

(prices seem much better) but I hate paying insane shipping costs

and customs charges. Are there any Canadian companies that can

compete with B&H prices or should I just shop U.S.?

P.S. I'm mainly interested in used equipment.

Thanks.

J.

Jason -- your best bet is to search the archives as there is a lot of information on where to buy and how to ship to Canada from the States. <P>Once you have a better general idea then ask some specific questions.<P>I will add that you will probably sense that B&H via FedEx or USPS (and not the usurious UPS) are the way to go.

Jason,

From personal experience...Be careful. I have found that there is a great deal of inconsistency when bringing in stuff from the US. In general, you can rarely predict when customs will charge duties. I have had expensive items come in w/o being opened and charged, and cheap items opened and charged; I can make neither heads nor tails of how and when GST/PST are charged. What I have found, however, is that you are always best with the US expediter sending via USPS ground. The reason is simply because if it comes any other way, and is cleared by any courier service, they will charge you a brokerage fee. UPS once hit me with $30 for this *service*. My advice...for film and paper and new stuff go to Photoco in Montreal or Henry's in TO...For used stuff from the US, expressly request USPS ground and cross your fingers.

Hope that this helps,

Kent

Jason,

If you ever find a Canadian store cheaper than a US store, let me know! :)

The others are right, USPS is the way to go, and sometimes if you get lucky, there won't be any charges for duties and all that.

Even with my (meager, I must say) discount from my local photo club, I didn't find any local or Canadian store which would be cheaper than B&H (for film shipping anyways, and that's even counting the exchange rate and shipping rate). Adorama doesn't ship to Canada anymore btw.

Well, all is not lost. Our dollar hasn't been this high since the 70s, and predictions are that it's only going to go up. We may even reach parity with the US greenback by year 2007. How long are you willing to wait to get the most out of your looney? :)

USPS is the best way to ship - normally. However I just had a

USPS Global Express Mail item sit in Canada Customs for 3

weeks, and then get shipped back to the U.S. because Customs

is "backlogged" and can't process all the mail. Honest to

goodness what I was told. Smartest alternate shipping method?

Get a U.S. mailing address, and, if you're close to the border,

drive down & pick it up yourself. There are mail-receiving

services in most U.S. towns that hug the border.

I've only shopped at B&H, and unfortunately, I went the UPS route and got charged a ridiculous $80 brokerage fee. I still saved money in the end, but was much less than expected.

I've seen all the posts regarding USPS, but do companies provide a way to track the packages? That was why I went the courier route to begin with.

As far as used equipment, I believe KEH ships internationally, and has a good reputation for used equipment.

Global Express ends up being Puraltor or something.

Customs are on strike/work to rule. They've also become sticklers on labeling. OTOH they seem to not be charging any fees. I had a package come last week. Less then 7 days from the LA area and customs didn't even charge anything.

No tracking for USPS.

KEH provides FedEx if you ask and FedEx is likely the best choice if the package isn't too heavy. It costs a little more for the shipping and for the brokerage fee but it's much faster. I've ordered stuff in the morning and had it the next afternoon.

UPS you really need to read thier webpage on other charges. UPS ground can easily add up. Allegedly UPS air is better but considering how UPS ground screws people over I won't deal with UPS if I have any choice.

Jason,

I buy from the USA all the time. Given that the Loonie is at a 20 year high vs. the $US, it is even more tempting now. I have yet to find a Canadian on-line photo retailer with competitive prices on things like camera bodies, lenses, pro film. But some things I have been able to find cheaper in Canada (LowePro camera bags for instance).

First, there is NO DUTY (zero, nada, zip, zilch) on any photo items imported into Canada from the USA for personal use. Anything that UPS Ground or FedEx Ground might charge is a brokerage FEE, not a duty.

In most cases, especially on items purchased from a retailer versus from a private individual, you will have to pay TAXES (sometimes packages slip through, but don't count on it). That's no different than what you would pay if you bought locally from a retailer, so you can discount taxes from your "calculations". Canada Customs will charge you GST (7%) or HST (15%), depending on where you live. You may also have to pay PST (as I live in Atlantic Canada I can't say for sure about that as we have to pay the 15% kick to the groin).

The best way to ship is via the USPS.

Global Express Mail (EMS) is the only service that is insured and trackable, and it is handled by Purolator (a Canada Post owned courier) on the Canadian side. I have been less than impressed with Purolator service. Maybe it's just the local idiots here, but they have managed to f--- up in some manner on 2 of 4 shipments in the last year. One was returned to the USA as I was away for a week, and these dolts would only hold the package for 5 days (apparently it has never occurred to them that people might go on holidays for longer than 5 days). Purolator will charge you $5 to clear customs and collect the applicable taxes (you will get a bill in the mail). I think the clearance fee is actually a small percentage of the declared value - the minimum is $5.00, you might pay more for expensive shipments.

All other USPS services are handled directly by Canada Post. Global Priority is cheap and fast, but shipments can't be insured. Global Airmail (Parcel Post) is insurable, reasonably fast, but is not trackable. Most items arrive in two weeks or less. Global Economy (ground) is so slow that I would not even consider it. Canada Post will also charge you $5 to clear customs and collect applicable taxes (again, I have heard the fee is percentage based, but I have never paid more than $5 on shipments of $300USD or less). And, Canada Post will hold your package for 14 days if you are away when it arrives.

Supposedly UPS Express (Air) to Canada does not charge a brokerage fee (this from B&H), but I have been ripped off by the UPS Ground BANDITS / THIEVES enough that I simply won't do business with any retailer / seller that doesn't offer FedEx or USPS as a shipping option. Their BOGUS "brokerage" fees are a blatant scam to pad their shipping fees. I wonder if US sellers know of the harm they are doing to their cross-border business by only offering this shipping option to international customers.

When B&H used FedEx, I don't think I paid any fees (or at least it was a very small fee) to clear customs. Again, they collect the taxes (bill in the mail) on behalf of CCRA. I haven't used FedEx on US orders for a couple of years, so I don't know for sure that this is still applicable.

Stay away from UPS Ground and shop to your hearts content!

Mike

I was charged CAN$ 37.50 by UPS ground for a filter, and I had to wait 2 days in my home because UPS phoned me and told me that they doesn't know at what time they will deliver the parcel, perhaps today, perhaps tomorow! For me UPS = Undelivered Parcel Service!

Now when I order from a company that says use UPS, I always ask them to send the goods by ordinary airmail post, informing them of the heavy UPS charges, and they usually accept.

I don't know if the correct question is are there any Canadian companies that CAN compete with B&H, or if the question is are there any Canadian companies that WILL compete with them. Regardless, I don't know of any.

I can't remember ever being charged duty on anything I've purchased in the U.S in at least the last 5 years. That includes camera equipment even though most camera equipment is manufactured in Asia, not the U.S.

As far as your buying used equipment, it doesn't matter. You will still be charged taxes at the border. I'm sure that's partially because otherwise everybody would claim that everything they're bringing over is used, just in really good condition. In Ontario, that's 7% to the Feds, and 8% to the Province. But, no duties.

And like everybody else says, UPS SUCKS!!!! Their brokerage fees are criminal! I refuse to use them, and encourage everybody else not to as well.

Oh and two more points. First, I've always found shipping costs to be reasonable, at least from B&H and Adorama.

Secondly, if you plan on ordering from U.S mail order companies, don't waste the time of your local retailer first by looking at, and testing the equipment and getting all your questions answered. That's just wrong.

I said it before and I'll repeat it-) It depends. Some things are cheaper here. I'm thinking of a new tripod head. 3047 maybe.

$80 US from B&H plus at least $27 in shipping.

Or from Photoco

$118 Canadian and something like $5 in shipping

Plus buying from Photo-co means no brokerage fee. No PST since I'm outside of Quebec. It means I can get local service here in Canada.

It pays to check first. Not everything is cheaper in the US.

Check out http://www.thecamerastore.com it is a Canadian store located in Calgary,

Alberta, Canada. They have VERY competitive prices that often compare to that of big US

stores like Adorama and B&H.

As they are Canadian they ship within Canada for a flat rate of something like $10 unless

your item is especialyl heavy. I bought from there as i live in Calgary and they are very

good. I have never ordered online but i don't see a reason that they would be bad.

Hope this helps.

"<i>I always pay in advance and UPS still throws $50 or $70 brokerage fees at me.

As far as I know there is no way around it.</i>"<p>

The "way around it" is to use UPS Expedited or UPS Express - they are the only shipping service that charge NO handling fees of any kind. <p>

Buy from a reputable retailer like B&H, who have a great deal of experience with international shipments, and you won't have any surprises with brokerage charges or handling fees (unless you are silly enough to choose USPS shipping - then you WILL pay a handling fee, plus Purolator's brokerage firm often charges duty and brokerage, even thought there is NO DUTY on photo equipment imported to Canada).

I've had both UPS and FedEx charge duty. Not taxes. Not brokerage or other fees but duty. Ya they aren't supposed to but UPS has a nasty habit of trying to find a section to charge duty. In both cases it wasn't worth my time to fight them over the relatively little amount of money but I know that it's happened to me. I also know it's happened to others. The Post office has never charged me duty. Majority of the time the Post office doesn't charge me anything at all. The higher priced UPS services only avoid the brokerage fee. Don't you still get charged all the other UPS fees?

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

That's the fee schedule. No matter what UPS service you use the additional fees get charged.

The best UPS story? The time they tried to collect over $50 in fees on a package they LOST. Or how about the time the driver decided to not deliver a package on the Friday before a long weekend. Or how they often deliver the package after 6pm? So you have to waste a whole day. At least FedEx lets me go to the depot and pick it up.

Isaac,

"Adorama doesn't ship to Canada anymore? When did that start? I was planning to order a Contax lens..."

That's what they told me 3-4 months ago (in July) when I emailed them asking for boxes of Provia and Velvia - perhaps they will still sell and ship other things then film. You should send an email to their customer service.

I shop the Camera Store in Calgary regularly and they are reputable and carry full lines - I assume their online operation is solid. I also buy at Vintage Visuals in Calgary (www.vintagevisuals.com) which only lists its inventory online, but they have a wide stock of used at reasonable prices. Compete with B&H? Very hard with their volume advantage, but there are specific cases. The US distributor for Sekonic, for Mamiya and Heliopan are kind of nuts and Sekonic meters are cheaper in Canada and Britain by a substantial margin. I believe the same applies to Mamiya. You've received good advice on shipping from the US - all I'd add is that the one shipment I had from B&H by mail (a small lens) took 25 days and there was no tracking available. I think I read recently that Canada Post has closed one of its three centres that dealt with US mail as the service was getting too good. Now they are advising a month and a half lead time for US packages to-and-fro approaching Christmas.

Yes Canada Post services are the way to go. I have also not been charged over $5 for brokerage. Fedex charges $10 which is also not too bad but I believe that they will require you to pay to open an account ($$$) if you receive any more than a few shipments from the USA.

Note that if you purchase used items, they are normally tax exempt. If Canada Post collects tax on these, fill out the form to contest the charges, send it to Canada Customs and they will cut you a cheque. It helps if your seller in the US writes "Used" on the declaration.

I also had a problem with Purolator. They charged me $2000 worth of taxes on a $500 scanner from B&H. It took months to contest the charges even though the package was correctly declared by B&H. They are idiots. Since the surcharges arrived later in the mail I refused to pay a cent until they straightened it out and I guess that they didn't appreciate that.

I was expecting a battle when my Rollei came back from servicing in the USA but I didn't get charged anything. They are supposed to charge PST/GST on the repair charges and I fully expected them to also try and tax the camera's declared value.

Mike, is that opinion or fact about paying taxes when importing used goods from the U.S? The last time(s) I brought used goods over, from an auction I won on Ebay, I was told that I either pay the taxes, or forfeit the item. That was after I had made it perfectly clear that the goods were used, and won at auction. I paid the taxes.

Shipping to a US location.

There is a place call US Address that will receive a parcel for you for $5.00 on 3909 Witmer Road (hwy 31) which is two exits from the Queenton/Lewiston Bridge at Niagara Falls. Turn left at exit stop sign.

usaddress at adelphia dot net

Tell Ann that Danny Wong sent you.

Or you can rent a P O Box.

Or you can get your photo friends/camera club together and make a day trip to NYC. There were 7 of us one time and we got a deal on bus tours, $119 three days, two nights in NY double occupancy. Just skip the sightseeing and go to B&H, Adorama instead. We tipped the bus driver and tour guide for $20 and got dropped off at B&H's front door.

On return your exposure is 7% to Paul and 8% to Dalton minus your excemption.

Anyone in the Golden Horseshoe area interested in trips like this do email me and I will let you know when our next one is. Save some dough and talk photo on the bus, not to mention stopping for nice scenery. Only rule is no film vs digital and canon vs nikon debate.