35 'cron lens hood question

joe_murphy1

Traded a 'cron for a new black paint ASPH several months ago (yes,

it's really black paint.) The new lens came with the 12452 vented

metal hood, also in black paint--which looks really good. However,

the new hood doesn't attach as firmly to the lens as it would seem it

should. I noticed it was being knocked off in my bag--I use a larger

diameter lens cap that fits inside the hood when I stow it that way.

At any rate, I mentioned this to my dealer--he was surprised and

actually gave me the hood from my old lens back. It fits securely and

will not come loose.

Sooooo the question is: Do the ASPH lenses come with hoods that are

designed to break loose or is this some kind of problem? The hoods

look identical save the finish, but the detentes (?) that fit into

the race on the lens are slightly different.

My 35 cron asph hood fits very snug. I think it is almost impossible to knock it off. I'm talking about the square hood. My complaint is about the square rubber cap for the square hood. It comes off very easily. I lost it 2 weeks ago. Anyone knows where I can get a replacement?

Rene, I lost mine two weeks ago also. It is a problem of design. My dealer quoted me $29 to replace and said it was on indent only! It's the second one I've lost this year. The first one was replaced from stock. Being a piece of flat rubber, I reckon Leica should mail them direct to we customers for something like this, @ cost!! :-))

Joe, I have noticed that the retractable "claws" of the Leica

version of the 12504 hood are not as long as those on the older

Leitz version of the hood. As a result, the hood turns rather freely

on the lens when attached. I too have the black paint 35/2

Summicron ASPH but I've never used the hood that came with

the lens; I use the older version of the hood. This has never

been knocked off the lens.

When I bought a brand new 2/35A a few years ago, its hood fitted snug and tight but with the usual problem that it (the hood) appeared turned a few degrees (corresponding as well to 1-2 mm). To the right or left, I forget. Anyways, I took it back and got a new hood which fit perfectly. Just as tight, but straighter. Many of us have had exactly the same problem, so it's evidently a quality check dismissal here. Check the archives. Probably never had any effect on the hood's function, but for that dough it has to be perfect, at least for me. Your hood's break-looseableness is of course a bad function, so get Leica to replace it too -- for free!

• 4 weeks later...
This was an annoyance so I had a friend (a mechanical engineer formerly with Alcoa) do the drafting in Pro-E & Ideas and get me a short run of a hood (along with soft release and grip for the MP/M7 that works better with the bottom plate) that stays on much better than the Leica parts. Still working out the kinks on getting it powdercoated or enamel painted. So far the custom designed hood works better than the various Leica hoods that I own, but the finish is the problem. So far the total cost has been two tickets to this last Sunday's Broncos game for 40 hoods. If we ever get the finish kinks out on this, we will probably release them.