Hi,

I am think about to buy a camera to take instant image for my new

born son. I can buy a Polaroid 690 SLR or a digital camera with

printer. The polaroid 690 use 600 integral film and the reported

resolution of the film on Polaroid site is 7-10 line pair/mm. The

size of the image is 7.9cm*7.9cm. If I want to get same resolution

and size of the print with digital set up, can someone recommend a

camera and printer combination with reasonable price? Will digital

set up give better quality than Polaroid with same image size?

Thank for your advice.

Regards,

Wiley

I don't know why you are even considering buying a polaroid product produced in 1998 that uses expensive film and made by a company who filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy in Oct 12, 2001.

Get a professional to take a set of Mom and baby pictures and then just buy a point and shoot. Don't make life too complicated.

Wiley,

Reluctantly I agree with the other respondent, don't buy any new Polaroid cameras. I like Polaroid material, but it is really expensive, and who knows how long it will be available? If you already have a 545 back to use in a 4x5" camera, by all means buy some Polaroid film and take some images of the family. The sepia film was really nice. Some of my sepia images have lasted in glass frames for 15 years, so it is seems to be reasonably durable.

I do have a suggestion for your family pictures: use a traditional silver-based black and white film if you are serious about durable images (use Tri-X or an equivalent). With proper fixing and washing and reasonable storage, the b&w negatives should last a century. You can be sure that your digital files will be unreadable in a century, or maybe even a couple of decades.

Thanks at first. The point is to get image instantly. At least the 600 film is still in production. I need not worry about the shortage of supply of film for some time. I just need some technique advices too choose a camera for instant image.

Thanks again.

Wiley

In what situation - right as he's born? get the digital; you'll want these forever, 'roids often die an early death. In a "celebration" setting later, where a bunch of people want pictures, and a lot's going on at once? Get the Polaroid. Polaroid is a lot less hassle, and a lot more fun at a party, even the old peel-a-part films. No one wants to watch the nerd futz around with his new toys, except maybe the other nerds. It would appear we'll have some sorts of Polaroid film for a while, if not the wide range to which we've become accustomed.

Polaroid is a poor choice in this situation, in my opinion. They are fairly expensive, the quality of the image is not that great, it is difficult to reproduce, and it is far from archival so the pictures of your new child will not last very long. Unless you have some particular reason why you need instant images and you don't care about these issues, I would avoid it. Polaroids can be wonderful - I depend on them in the studio to check lighting and they are a great tool - but their strengths and your goals don't seem to match very well.

With processing labs spitting out rolls of 36 (35mm) shots in half an hour, why bother with Polaroid or, unless you're willing to pony the cake, expensive digital solutions? I love my Polaroid - I have a 545 and 110a converted, but to use it for catching newborn shots? An absurdity! I'd go for digital if I wanted to drop the $750-4000 for reasonable quality. Which brings us back to a solid 35mm SLR. That's the way to go.