HUGE PS challenge

teresa_earnest

OK, this is a big challenge that I'm hoping some PS genious will

take on. I know it's not a wedding pic, but it could apply to

wedding formals. Is there anyway at all to make the little girl in

the middle of this picture have eyes that look straight ahead

instead of to the left. I tried it, and she looked like a zombie.

The file is low-res, so this is for fun, I won't be using the pic

for profit. I have plenty of others that are OK.

If someone knows how to do this, please share how.

Thanks,

Teresa<div>009S07-19578784.jpg.23e758dfae89321c4f079111e4daa820.jpg</div>

I'm no expert, but I believe the most common thing to do is to "swipe" the eyes of the little girl from another frame where she is looking at the camera. Of course, the closer in lighting and pose to what you have here, the better the final will look.

If you don't have another set of eyes, then I've just moved the eyeballs and touched up the eyelids, but this isn't as successful because the eyelids look different when the eyeballs are looking straight ahead, and you kind of have to make some of the eyelids up from scratch--shadows, shape, etc.

Hopefully, some of the PS experts will answer. I'd be interested to hear what they say too.

I think that this is one of those pictures where less is better.And I agree I think it looks good as is.

Also I would suggest you to shoot as if Photoshop did not exist.

in orther to "fix" this picture you would have to change her facial expression which wold make it look more natural.(if you are as picky as we are)Now lets supos that this picture had to be it and no matter what you had to fix it I don't think there is a magic-way around it .You would have to zoom in the eyes as much as possible say about 500% and work on them .

Here's my little 5 minute retouch...still kinda sloppy, but you can get the idea. It was a bit difficult because the file is so small, there aren't many pixels to play with. Essentially, I went to 400% zoom, and shifted her eyeline by painting in new pupils and whites, using the eyedropper to sample color for the "whites" (since they are really shades of pink/brown) from her sister's eyes. I then lasso'd her right eye, and shifted it one pixel over (for this file size) and extended her eyebrow. This helped balance her face out a bit. Add a bit of burning in areas, and there you have it. Plus color adjustments/leveling/contrast. The key is not to make both eyes look the same, but have a slight variation in gaze/size/color. Hope that helps.<div>009S3W-19579384.jpg.9cd9e11a3d3bdb6cd1d48cca0db7252c.jpg</div>

I think the less drawing you do on a photograph the better..if you are retouching. You can just swipe an eye from the mother, or sister,including the white of the eye...both Mother and the other little girl are also looking out of the corner of their eyes.....and just flip them.

That way, you simply exchange eyes. It can be done in full resolution.

I also think the photograph is just fine this way.....better even..than all three looking at the camera...

In response to Belle's post, borrowing eyes works really well at times, but for this photo, when I tried to rip and flip eyes from the sister or mother, it looked strange when pasting it into the center figure. If you notice, both of the peripheral people are at angles, and when you paste in their eyes into the girl, the direction of her gaze is off.

I agree that the photo by itself can stand alone and need not retouching, but if it was a must have/must retouch situation, it is possible to have it come off pretty natural. Its a good thing to practice retouching such as painting in new eyes, gives you a different skill set I think. In any case, nice photo:)

Thanks again all. I like it as well, but as you said I would like to keep myself up on new PS techniques. I am aquiring some rather expensive books that are allowing me to do some rather amazing things. Yesterday, at a clients request, I changed the color of her swimming pool (in a wedding shot) from green (not slimey, just green) to a nice blue. I used the color replacement tool, and was amazed. It wasn't perfect around the edges, but pretty close.

That's what I love about this group, I am learning so much about photography in general and PS.

Teresa<div>009SUu-19589284.jpg.003dd12ae05d0bd0855034b821f0bdcf.jpg</div>