First Fashion Show?

denny_kyser

I am going to photograph my first mall fashion show, and sure would

like some tips from those of you that do this often.

My equipment, a Canon 10D, 50 1.4 / 85 1.8 / 17-40 f 4.0L and

possibly a 70-200 4.0 L plenty of CF cards and a quantum T4D and both

a ETTL cord and flash bracket or PW's

Would you recomend keeping the flash on the camera with flash bracket

using ETTL, or setting it up on a stand and firing with PW's

What lenses would you recomend? I am going to be out of my little

studio enviorment and hoping to get some tips.

Dennis,

Having done at least 3 shows this week - LOL - and it's only Wed.(it's winter fall season time in the fashion industry) I'll give you some tips...

As for what lense - that will all depend on where you are standing. This will depend on the production co./label putting on the show. Usually there is a 'press' area at the end of the runway. Though bear in mind some runways are oddly shaped so could have more than one end. But usually there is a 'pose' by the models at the beginning and end of the runway. The 70-200mm lens sounds like a good bet. As it gives you the most flexibility.

Most shows are very well lit - so at f4.0 with T4D firing TTL you should have no problem.

Skip the stand idea - too easy for someone (yourself included) to trip over. They might not even let you set it up. Anyhow - a brack is the way to go and be reminded that 95% of all your shots will be vertical so might as start with the flash bracket there from the get go.

Most importantly - bring twice as many business cards as you think you will need. Hand them out to everyone.. the production director, the model agency people, VIP's, people from the labels and any celebrities that show up. This is the best time to network - if you're smart you can turn it into many more jobs.

Good luck - have fun

i have to correct whoever said it was fall fashion during this time of year. i've been shooting olympus fashion week for 2 years and what is showed in the fall is always the upcoming springs clothing. The best lens to use would be a versatile L series zoom like a 70-200 f2.8 for nice wide aperatures which will help to "wash" the background out at the shows and a good wide angle liek the 24-70L and thats all besidesa flash and a decent camera. Bring alot of CF cards. you'll go through them liek water.