New VC Meter II

paul_neuthaler

Have you used the old VC Meter?? I have one for 3 years. Mounted on M3 and M4. Never scratch. It's shorter in length than the Leica MR-4 meter so possible contact to the camera's top plate is less. It depends on how you mount the meter to the hot shoe. If you really that care about potential scratch, put some protective material on the top plate or just use a separate hand-held meter.

Paul, AFAIK the underside of the V/C meters is plastic and shouldn't scratch the top plate of a silver Leica. Then again, so is the bottom of the MR4 meter. My M4 top plate is noticably marked from a meter. Yet when I look, I can clearly see light coming through under the meter, it doesn't touch the top plate. And if you install and remove it properly (turn shutter to B, lift up meter dial and turn so it stays raised, slip meter off with pressure pulling up away from the top plate) it doesn't touch ever. I think you'd have to almost try to scratch the top plate with the M4R, and the V/C has even less to do since it doesn't couple to the shutter dial. Actually I think a lot of what is referred to as "meter marks" might have come from removing the pentaprism of a Visoflex-II. There is a patch of leather or vulcanite under the prism but there's metal all around it.

If your M is totally mint on top, you could no doubt put a piece of thin self-stick felt on the bottom of the meter, with a circle cut for access to the battery.

I suppose it only answered the first two! And yes, the base is plastic so i can't

really see any way it would damage your M3. Like others, I'm frustrated by the

lack of an exposure lock, and I think an LED display is less intuitive than an

analogue one, but I imagine I'll end up l buying one eventually, because it's

compact and apparently pretty sensitive. And I've had enough of juggling

around three old meters plus a spare camera, trying to work out which ones

are accurate.