Canon Tripod Mount Ring A for 70-200mm f/4L

arunarchi

Yes, you can get by without a tripod mount if you use reasonably high shutter speeds. I

don't know what you mean by "Do we need it absolutely for mounting on a tripod.". The

answer to that is yes, if you want to mount the <B>lens</B> on a tripod. You could

mount the camera to a tripod and then hang the 70-200 in front of it, but that's a lot of

weight and leverage on the lens mount. I don't recommend it.

<p> Canon does not provide tripod mount rings for it's lighter L tele-lenses: 70-200/4 and 200/2.8. They have similar length and weight and - at least so I feel - are fairly light and short. While I don't use tripods, I had no trouble balancing Elan 7e + BP-300 + 200/2.8 on my <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=332749&is=REG">self standing monopod</a> when mounted on the BP-300. I thus think that Canon believes that for these lenses, mounting on the camera provides sufficient balance and will cause no excessive strain on the bayonet. Or I could be completely wrong and this is a marketing quirk.....</p>

<p> BTW, do you have Elan 7/7e + BP-300? If so, have a look <a href="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_ef70-200usm.htm">here</a>. </p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

Lets back up for a second - I am in the process of buying a tripod - almost decided on the Slik Pro 700dx based on price, height and stability - I presently own a EOS ElanIIe body and the standard issue lens (28-80) and a wide angle (20-35) lens. I intend to buy a Canon 70-200 f/4L in the near future - now, since I don't own a tripod yet - can u be specific as to where the "Tripod Mount Ring A for 70-200mm f/4L" would be added on? Would it be between the body and the lens? Am sorry if it sounds too basic - photo.net is my biggest source of education! Any explanation in this regard would be much appreciated

Arun