Are you still using your film gear?

lsaavedra

yes I still use my film gear but mainly for weddings. Film just seems to have a certain look to it that I love. Besides the fact that I have more leeway with under/over exposing with film and that helps me to relax during the hectic wedding shooting day. But for everything else I shoot digital

I bought my D60 in 2002, and kept an EOS 3 film body.<br>

<br>

I hardly ever used it though, so I sold it along with the D60 and upgraded to a 20D last week.<br>

<br>

I think it depends more on how <i>you</i> use your cameras than what we have done...<br>

<br>

Ian<br>

--<br>

Ian Hobday<br>

Osaka, Japan<br>

<a href="http://hobday.net/photos" target="_blank">http://hobday.net/photos</a> (Opens in a new window.)

I got a very cheap used A2E body after I've got my 300D and I use it just for fun sometimes or when I need the complete wide angle of my 20/2.8 lens. I also like the bright large viewfinder and the speed. But actually the process of scanning the film, cleaning the images from dust and scratches and color correction in Photoshop takes a lot of time. Then there are the costs for film and development (and expensive lithium instead of rechargeable batteries). So I can't see any real advantage if you have the digital stuff already. But from time to time its nice for a change or just out of a nostalgic feeling!

I've started carrying my FD equipment more now that I have a DSLR -- they complement each other. I'd carry my DSLR around with my MF equipment as well, but as they don't fit in the same bag together, the DSLR sits at home when I'm using MF.

I couldn't give you proportion figures -- sometimes it's 100% film, 100% digital, 20-80, 80-20, etc., etc. I use both or either according to my wishes and needs.

I shoot mostly colour negatives, slides sometimes, but almost never B&W -- I'd prefer to desaturate selectively than to pre-filter.

What's film? Okay ... maybe it's too early for anyone to be asking that

question, but I can see our grand kids at some point in the future looking

rather bewildered when we talk about the good old days of Velvia film, etc.

Film is going the way of vinyl records, whether you like it or not. It may not

happen for another 10 or 20 years ... but the film industry is most certainly a

sunset industry. I've heard that Bronica has already announced their

retirement from the medium format cameras.

I have sold my film camera that I had adored so much - the Contax RX. It still

remains as the best-looking camera I have ever owned, with the

silkiest/smoothest and quietest shutter release. I am still very fond of Contax

cameras and Zeiss lenses ... but I am through with film and I could never go

back to it.

I am now a Canon fan ... and loving the 20D.

I kept my EOS-1 body, selling an EOS-1N and EOS-3, when I went digital, with EOS 10D

and EOS 1D Mark II bodies. I also have Contax G2 and Pentax 67 systems. I haven't used

the EOS

in a while, but I use the Pentax 67 for landscapes and macro photography, and the Contax

G2 for travel. With film, I only shoot transparencies, as I have for many years. I still love

film, but I'm kind of long in the tooth.

I moved from Minolta MD equipment to a Canon 300D about a year ago. I have since upgraded to a 10D and recently purchased an old EOS 100qd (Elan) in great shape for using my 17-40 f4L as a 17-40! (And for shooting with B&W when I feel nostalgic.) Since I didn't have any Canon film gear to begin with, I just looked for the camera I felt would give me the most bang for the buck. For my needs and experience, the 100qd was the way to go-- and cheap at $119.

After I bought my 10D I haven't used my A2E at all and I sold an EOS-1. I also wound up

selling my Fuji GA645zi and am trying to sell my Hasselblads. The one film camera that I

have and use is my Ebony 23S view camera. Also, I've borrowed a Plaubel Makina that is a

great compliment to the 10D. If I do anything, I'll probably wind up getting a 4x5 and

upgrading the 10D to a 20D.

I bought an EOS 10D 15 months ago and really like the camera. Obviously there are advantages to both film and digital. However, I still shoot film (negs & chromes) about half the time, mainly for the choice and variety. I especially love using older manual cameras for a retro kick and the simplicity. I wouldn't want to give up film or digital.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I haven't got the film gear out in months, but will keep the EOS 50E body just in case the 24mm is required once I obtain the coveted 20D at some point - unless a used 1DS appears on the radar for a song! Other than that - even the IXUS 400 is capable of reasonable results once photoshopped to the nines. See attached<div>009naq-20052784.thumb.jpg.50e903422d93c8898aab6da5996b649c.jpg</div>

Absolutely, especially since I don't have a digital camera. For me, it is unjustifiable to spend 7000-8000 USD to have a DSLR to do what my fantastic 1V is able to do for much less cash. I shoot mostly slides amd some B&W.

I have ordered recently a Powershot Pro 1, to use as an "easy come, easy go" camera, for less serious work.

I switched from nikon to canon when the mark II came out. I didn't even buy a film camera.

Sold all the nikon stuff. Now the only film camera I have is a 8x10 field camera that I

bought this spring to do personel landscapes with. Haven't missed the film camera for 35

or 120 at all.

I have sold ALL my Canon EOS3/1v and Bronica(s) ETRSi since I got my 10D. Additionally I have sold and/or given away a fridge full of the left over film for both formats. Finally, I have also sold (still more to sell) all my darkroom equipment and accessories.

Now, I am spending more time shooting and less time developing, printing, etc...and/or driving to & from the PRO lab. That's THE main issue for me :)

Definitely using it, and frequently. When quality is of the utmost importance, out comes the RZ67II. Last week I spent shooting in NYC with my Leica. Personal projects, I'm frequently toting my Rolleiflex F or Zeiss Ikon. Really, I'm only using digital at work and for sports and certain PJ applications.

I like film. It looks different, it has texture. Digital is wonderful and I love my mkII and it's served me very well these past months, but there is a quality to film that can't be matched.