Hello

I have a couple of screw-mount lenses and I use them with my Praktica

MTL-3. The problem is that this camera has quite powerful mirror

slap... I have a bunch of camera-shaken pictures and even with my

tripod I can't use times lower than ~1/15s (for low-light or macro

work)

I could buy Pentax Spotmatic SP-II by mail, but would like to know if

that is an upgrade? Does anyone have experienece with both of the

cameras? Which one did (would) you prefer and why? Any other model?

Thank you a zillion,

Ales

i have a pentax spotmatic SP-II and it's great, but for low light work the aging

focusing screen is dim. could have it replaced by a technician with something

brighter...from sturdiness and low-vibration point-of-view, the spotmatic is pretty

good for a SLR, not like a rangefinder, of course.

so yes, it would be a step up from a Praktica. (prices reflect this). keep in mind that

the SP-II uses a small old mercury battery; there are substitutes for it.

prakticas at this point are cheap, expendable cameras. OK but not that lovable IMHO.

the lenses are better (zeiss jena 20mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.4, 50mm f/1.8, 80mm f/1.8,

and pentacon 29mm f/2.8)

the fujica ST-801 has a bright focusing screen and is decent in terms of acceptable

vibration at slower shutter speeds, also. and it's cheaper than a spotmatic SP-II.

I have used a Praktika MTL-5B (I think that's the model, but it was 4 years ago) and I am glad to be rid of the camera and the Pentacon lenses. The Praktika is a very crudely made camera. The lenses are crappy. I absolutely love my original black Pentax Spotmatic. The Spotmatic is a beautiful camera that's silky smooth in operation. Get a Spotmatic and replace your East German lenses with the Takumars while you're at it. (Though I'd keep the 35/2.4 CZJ Sonnar if I had one.)

I believe that the Spotmatics are among a small group of older SLR's that don't require a mercury battery even though they were originally furnished with them.

The Spotmatic circuitry is of the comparison bridge type and is independent of battery voltage. The meter will operate properly with mostavailable button cells, silver oxide in particular.

Most other SLR's of the period required a mercury cell in order to provide a stable reference voltage. Many of these cameras can be recalibrated for a silver oxide cell

I have a Spotmatic SP. The meter works just fine with a modern battery -- IIRC, an LR44, aka S76. And, of course, the fully manual camera also works perfectly with no battery at all, except that you have to set exposure by some other method (external meter, Sunny 16, or what have you). As others have said, it's pretty smooth for an SLR; I've used it on a pretty cheap tripod down to 1/4 second without vibration problems.

Ales, the other day some one asked the same question. I will give you the same answer: I was a sucker for Practika for many years and used it despite many problems. I owned MTL3, MTL5, LTL all very good as long as they work. Unfortunately they all let me down. I recently switched to Pentax Spotmatic to take advantage of the Zeiss screwmount lenses (great optics) and I have no regrets. I endorse the spotmatic. happy shooting

Prakticas are cameras that were low-priced when new and were not built to last (plastic top and bottom covers, plastic lens mount, plastic wind gears etc.). The lenses fitted to them are also very poor. The Spotmatic and Takumar lenses are a considerable step up. But there are other great screw-mount SLRs like the Chinons, GAFs and Fujicas. Spotmatics are not trouble-free. Most of them are now well-used and often need a complete CLA which will cost an additional $100 (in the USA) over and above the purchase price.

I have used both Takumar and East Jerman lenses on both Pentax and Praktica bodies. In my opinion, there is very little, if any, difference at normal enlargements (say 10x8 or 12x15) between the Takumars and the East German lenses. At extreme enlargements you may notice some difference but I think you'd have to be looking for it. In his book on collecting classic cameras, Ivor Matanle describes an experiment that he carried out, making 20x16 prints from a detailed close up of a watch shot with a range of lenses. He then asked experienced photographers to pick out which print came from which lens and apparently, none of them got the selections right. One of the lenses used was a 3-element East German Domiplan.

There is certainly a difference in mechanical quality between the classic Pentaxes and the Prakticas. Then again, the Pentax Spotmatic, in 1969, cost well over twice as much as the equivalently specified Prakticamat, so you'd expect a difference in quality here. The Japanese lens mounts are better made than the East German ones. I'm holding a 50/f1.8 Super Takumar and a 50/f1.8 Orestor of pretty well the same age right now. The Takumar is better finished, has smoother focussing and the click-stops on the aperture ring seem more positive.

If you're on a budget, it's certainly not unreasonable to pick up East German kit because, used with care, I think you'd achieve results which are highly acceptable.

let's be clear: Carl Zeiss Jena and late Pentacon lenses are NOT crappy.

the cheap 50mm lenses that came with Praktica cameras often WERE crappy. but let's

not confuse the low-end and the high-end with East German products.

same with the bodies, VLC, PLC, L are better made than MTL types, which were their

economy line.

When the Spotmatics were in the market, years ago, I was happily using a Voigtlander Vitomatic 11. I knew a lot of people in my university camera club who had Spotmatics and loved them, but I didn't know a lot about them. A couple of years ago I got turned on by this site: http://www.photoethnography.com - the Spotmatic SP-11 is highly recommended. Since then I've been keeping an eye open for one in mint condition. There's a ton of them out there, locally, but I haven't come across the right one yet. From the ones I did look at, I've also concluded it's a very nice camera and well-worth the effort to find one. Regarding the battery, there is a battery adaptor available for it.

The only older Pentax I have right now is a LX, and it's basically my wife's baby. Last week someone gave us an Olympus OM-1 with 3 lenses. That's in my wife's cabinet also.

frankly, if you got an Olympus OM-1 with 3 lenses for free, that's by far a superior

system to M42. more expensive of course, but small, quiet, lightweight cameras, and

amazing fast lenses: 21mm f/2, 24mm f/2, 28mm f/2 (none of these can be found in

M42), standard 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/1.4 are great also, as are the medium

telephotos. i don't use zooms much but if you do, you have a much better selection in

olympus OM mount than you do in M42. Not to mention motorized capability, the

"Drives" are a pain but the "Winder 2" can be had for $50-$75 and it's quite adequate.

of course, other than a few off-brand lenses (vivitar, sigma, tokina, etc.) there isn't

the fun mixing-and-matching that you get with M42 stuff.

Thank you for all answers.

I found a manual for SP-II on internet and found out that it has a microprism center for focusing. Is that better than split-image circle? Which one is "faster" - more obvious?

I have a chance to buy SP-II without lens for 80$ - is that a good deal?

If you shoot quite often in awkward situations, requiring one hand to hold yourself, leaving only one hand for your camera, then a Praktica is a much better choice. You can use all controls with one hand, while for the Spotmatic you need your left hand for the metering switch. So for cycling-photograpy from the saddle a Spotmatic is too dangerous.

• 2 years later...
The Spotmatic is great for macro work. I was lucky enough to find one at KEH with motor drive and "mirror lockup", a very rare option. The prvious models I used were not mirror lockup, but worked fine using a bellows and 100mm bellows lens. I have owned and used Spotmatics since 1966 (still have that one) and consider them the most durable dependable camera that the Japanese have ever made. Takumar lenses are of the highest quality and rival German makes. Good luck with your photo adventures. Bill<div>00O28Y-41022484.thumb.jpg.39c7d4d6890278f9666af72953beb9fb.jpg</div>

• 4 months later...
I have a spotmatic F and 3 prakticas passed from my hands. The spotmatic cannot be compared with the prakticas. It is far better in every aspect. Better construction, better focussing, better everything. The pentacon lenses are good optically but pure mechanically. The takumar 50mm f/1.4 is unbeatable lens. I use it and I get results that lenses of today cannot achieve. The other takumars like the 135mm f/3.5 and the 55mm f/1.8 are good but the carl zeiss jena 135mm f/3.5 is way better and the pentacon 50mm f/1.8 is better too. I wish I had a flektogon !!!!

• 4 months later...