Get out your checkbooks

Brett, just read the article. I'm really at a loss as to what Leica expects from the model. The first issue was a total fiasco and recently there still were some unfortunate dealers offering them at less than $900. Negative fellow that I am, I predict a second fiasco.

<br><br>

On the other hand, I sure would like a print. Some of them will eventually surface on the "online auction site".

<br><br>

By the way, the PhotoScala article reads <i>"For example, the photos are carefully enlarged by hand at the Leica company and printed on baryt paper, which is far stronger than ordinary types of paper."</i> Just when did baryta paper cease to be ordinary? I'm probably too old, but I learned my darkroom when there was no other thing. RC/PE paper was still years into the future. I still use baryta/fiber paper for anything worthy of hanging on the wall.

<br><br>

Pity that it's very unlikely that I will still be alive when Leica decides to make a IIIf conmemorative (or that even the company will be in business)

This thing came in at one-third the price that I expected Leica to set. If you

haven't looked at the prints I'd suggest that you do. they are remarkable. I

have a lot of cameras but don't consider myself a collector. having said that, i

think i might get one of these just for the print, the book and the box.

Hey Paul, any chance of handing out copies of the DVD? ;-)

As much as I'd love one of these babies, I think I'll keep my money in my pocket. It is, though, a much better package than the first 0-series release. At least you get something extra, something to get you deeper into the whole history of the thing.

The Leica mystique is very powerful, and whether one appreciates it or hates it, it's there. In this new collectors' piece we have not just a reproduction, but a window into history. For me, that's a double temptation, but I'm still holding onto my precious, precious dollars.

We got one sample (first in the USA!) today of the new "Prototype 2 Oskar

Barnak Edition."

OK, the camera is an O-Series with a finder...that is pretty much it... It has

Oskar's pic. on the back on a little plaque. Nice box and book too.

...but the print is awesome!!!! ...and the DVD of Oskar's movies pretty cool

too. My assistant here is watching it right now on his computer for about the

last 30 minutes. :)

The price is $3200 and you get to pick one of 10 different prints by Oskar

himself ...printed from his original negatives that is. We got the one of the guy

in front of the black forest. Neat-o.

I predict they will sell them out...not on the merrits of the camera, but rather the

print. A silver print of this quality and historical significance (some of the first

35mm stills taken ever!) is worth $2500-$3k by itself...the camera is almost

incidental to those who will buy this set. IMHO.

We also have an anthracite MP here in our Leica shop. Makes the OBE look

cheap at a staggering $7995. Before you flame me, yes people are buying

them and we are down to two sets left. Only 600 were made and it is released

only in Japan.

Anyone who wants to see the OBE and is in NYC, come to the shop tomorrow

between 12-8pm EST. After tomorrow we'll be off until Sept 2nd...so this is an

impromptu 1 day premiere!

bests,

Rich

www.photovillage.com

Fellas, don't worry about it. These are not for us, but for the rich oil sheiks, princes, etc., who help to keep Leica afloat with these outrageous luxury items. You know they realize you and I don't buy them, don't you? They are just doing it for us, to keep us in real Leicas.

"I think I might get one of these just for the print, the book and the box." Paul: You'll have bragging rights for being the only person in the world to pay MAP.

Rich: FYI, there were ten MP anthracite sets released for the US market (with full Passport Warranty), all of them offered by three West Coast dealers - Tony Rose (Popflash.Cam), Richard Osterling (KB Camera), and Sammy's Camera.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra